PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dog router table warpage?

Jason White
03-21-2009, 8:05 AM
I recently mounted a Bench Dog cast-iron router table extension wing on my new Grizzly cabinet saw. Previously, it had been on my RIDGID TS3650.

Using a precision straightedge from Lee Valley, it would appear that the Bench Dog has warped a bit, especially in the area around the T-track.

Has anybody else had this problem with Bench Dog tables? is the cast-iron not the best quality?

Jason

Bob Genovesi
03-21-2009, 8:37 AM
Jason,

Cast iron does move over time and does warp. I'm sort of surprised since it was on a saw prior to the install on the Grizzly. Is it actually warped before you bolted it on the Grizzly? Define warped.... How much, .002 or .02...

Take it off and set it on the workbench and see if it still exhibits the same degree of warping. If not then it could be the mounting surfaces are not flat and the warping is being induced during the mounting and tightening process.

Bob Aquino
03-21-2009, 9:21 AM
I have one of their cast iron tables that I got as a gift from my brother because it was warped from the factory. They sent him a new table and didnt want the old one back. The warp isnt bad, a bit of a dip in the middle, maybe a 64th or so, but when you are paying over 300 it better be perfect. I think their qc is slipping a bit, though its still plenty serviceable. Previous to this table I was using one of their pro contractor portable tables which I was satisfied with.

glenn bradley
03-21-2009, 10:27 AM
As Bob G. said; CI is soft and can be manipulated. Depending on which direction the warp is, shimming at the BD to TS joint can probably correct this. I had a similar problem with a TS wing and it turned out that I had not shimmed well when adjusting the wing height. This allowed an uneven seat for the joint and the "twist" was transferred to the wing when it was tightened down. Maybe you are seeing the same thing as there was no problem on the other saw(?).