PDA

View Full Version : Still shopping - Help on lathe

Ron Taylor
03-18-2003, 12:22 PM
It looks like in addition to the TS, DC, and shaper, my budget just MAY include a lathe. What to buy as a starter unit?

I've found a new Delta LA200 Midi on eBay. Looks like it will sell for less than $250 plus shipping. Same unit sells on Amazon for $319.00 free shipping.

Whaddayathink??? Is the LA200 a good starter for a rank beginner? What would you pay on eBay? There are several, all from the same dealer, all brand new, varying prices and lengths of auction time.

I have absolutely zero experience with a lathe.

Thanks,
Ron

Lee Schierer
03-18-2003, 12:29 PM
In fact don't buy any lathe....you will be constantly distracted from working of cabinets and tables, everything will become round in your mind. As you drive down the road you will look at everyone's firewood and see pieces that could be turned on your lathe.

Each 10 minute trip in your car will take housrs because....look that guy is cutting down a gnarly old tree, I wonder if I could get a few pieces from him for turning. You car springs will sag from teh weight of wood in yur trunk.

Your tool budget will be totally absorbed by all the late accssories and chucks, one way, vacuum, etc....

Stick with the TS and shaper stay away from a lathe purchase. It will start you on the slippery slope.......

:)

Joe Suelter
03-18-2003, 12:32 PM
AIN'T IT THE TRUTH?

Joe Suelter
03-18-2003, 12:34 PM
:p

Richard Allen
03-18-2003, 1:06 PM
Hi Ron

I started turning 5 years ago. When I started, I needed to put a cornice and upper doors on a nice cherry whiskey cabinet I had spent 6+ months working on. Perhaps 20 hours of work if I took my time. Still no cornice and still no upper doors. The cabinet is in use, mostly because, after 5 months I decided I needed the room in my shop.

In the 20 years of woodworking before the lathe I spent perhaps $2,000 on power tools and maybe another $500 on hand tools, with $400 on the plywood and pine I had bought.

In the past 5 years I have eagerly spent at least $20,000 on woodturning.

There is no activity short of helping your kids grow up that is more satisfying than turning wood. Turning wood will do more for your soul than you ever dreamed of.

Yes the Delta mini at $250 is a good price. But the rewards you will gain from turning are PRICELESS.

Thanks

Scott Greaves
03-18-2003, 3:27 PM
Hi Ron,

That price for a Delta Midi is a good deal. I highly recommend this size lathe to start out on. When you move up to a bigger lathe, you can just keep the smaller lathe as a backup!

I prefer the Jet Mini. It and the Delta Midi are real close to the same. I have never heard of any problems with the Jet Mini.

Good Luck!

Scott.

(I really like Richard's Avatar!)

Stan Smith
03-18-2003, 7:33 PM
Good Luck in your research and purchase. I went through the same process a few years back. I wanted a Jet mini lathe at that time, but others talked me into a full size Jet model 1236. It is a good lathe without a doubt and holds up well. However, I never did turn anything where I needed a long bed now it takes up more room in my shop than a mini would. Actually, I like to turn small stuff: boxes, bowls, pens, etc.. I mini lathe would be just fine for me. I'm going to sell my current lathe and get a smaller on. Telling you this, just in case people tell you to get a larger lathe. You have to try to foresee the future a little as to what you might want to use it for.

Stan

Gary Hern
03-18-2003, 7:48 PM
Although, I think the Jet may have a slight edge. I own the Delta and have turned a bunch on it. I've gone through several tightening knobs, a motor, a tailstock quil and a bunch of belts. Did I mention that I really pushed this lathe? If not, I really gave it heck. The good part is that Delta never questioned anything and have always replaced everything except the belts, even though I felt that I should have paid for it. I replaced it with the Stubby and haven't touched the Delta since. It sits in my basement untouched, but I'm sure when it gets really hot outside and I have time, the Delta will make shavings again because of where it is. The biggest issue I have with the Delta is the handles. They are some type of a cheap composite and the handles break very easily and the cogs strip on the inside. At the price you find it at, I wouldn't hesitate. You can buy the good metal handles in metric configuration and still be $ ahead! Go for it, but be aware that the tooling and accessories will cost much more than the lathe!