PDA

View Full Version : Padding Shellac

Doug Hobkirk
03-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I keep learning only to discover that my new knowledge requires at least twice as much additional knowledge to be useful! ARGH! So I keep plugging away - please bear with me.

I've wiped on poly and shellac in the past. I decided to graduate to padding shellac. I made two pads out of some linen for the outside (about 6x6), the sleeve of a cotton T-shirt excluding the seam for the inside, and some string to tie up the bundle - SEE PHOTOS.

The following results occurred on a mahogany dresser - the problems were less significant on an oak dresser (sealed w/ SealCoat and pores filled w/ 3 coats of pore filler). Both dressers were stained with pigment stains before padding.

I poured some DNA on the ball.
Then I dip it part way into my can of 2# SealCoat shellac and "wipe" it on from side to side, back-and-forth, going with the grain. When the pad stops wetting the surface I dip into the can again. Results =

Ridges of shellac from sides of pad.
Build-up of shellac at edges where the pad begins and ends
Shellac gets tacky too quickly

I repeat step two (after 2 hours at 40 degrees) with 1# diluted SealCoat. Results =

Ridges not as pronounced
Build-up at ends still pronounced
It doesn't get tacky as quickly

I am pretty sure I will need to do some sanding tomorrow to level the finish.

As always, HELP! What am I doing wrong?

glenn bradley
03-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't know that anything is being done "wrong". I use a pad similar to yours but I have cheesecloth on the inside to hold the 'load' and I wrap with a t-shirt. Your linen offers too rough a surface to control ridges IMHO. The face doing the padding should be tight, wrinkle free (wrinkles leave ridges too) and curved like a ball as your's is. The face being wrinkle free was more important than I thought.

I hit Seal Coat 1:1 with DNA for the first couple coats. As you notice, being thin is goes on a bit smoother but, dries fast and of course, leaves little film. I then build with 2 or 3 coats of 2# cut (Zinsser's mix out of the can).

One great aspect of shellac is that bumps and ridges can be worked down with a cloth wet with DNA. Once the area is smoothed, it will be dull due to the DNA reaction. Just pad lightly with real thin shellac to return the shine.

This is just my experience. HTH.