PDA

View Full Version : New Rasp Selection

Gary Benson
03-20-2009, 9:43 PM
Based on a recent thread about replacement plane handles, I think I would like to purchase a rasp or two. I have learned to buy good tools, and want to do the same here, but where do I start regarding length shape and tpi? Which 2 rasps would you suggest for general shaping of small to medium size items that don't then require infinite sanding afterword before finishing. Looking at buying the Grammercy brand or the Ariou replacements from the best things.
Thanks,
Gary

Brian Kent
03-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I know nothing of those brands. I have loved using the Nicholson 49 and look forward to using the #50. I look forward to informed responses to your questions.

Cliff Polubinsky
03-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Gary,

I have three of the Gramercy rasps and they are very nice. But when I want to do fine shaping I use the Auriou Modelers rasp that I picked up in Berea last fall. It's 13 grain, leaves a very fine surface and is a joy to work with. You can order from the new company at their web site http://forge-de-saint-juery.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Rasps_for_Wood_5.html. (http://forge-de-saint-juery.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Rasps_for_Wood_5.html)

I looked at the rasps on The Best Things and the #6 Narrow Cabinet rasp looks close but the handles on them are nowhere near as nice on the Aurious.

Cliff

Joel Moskowitz
03-21-2009, 10:54 AM
While I am a huge fan (obviously) of the Gramercy rasps I am happy to report that the new Auriou is now doing it's first wholesale shipment again. We expect to have Auriou rasps back stock in a couple of weeks (Shipment left France Friday)

joel

Brian Kent
03-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Cliff and Joel, since my first rasp has been so helpful, I would like to know more about the finish possible with rasps before any other sanding. Do you have examples of the finish left by fine rasps?

Cliff, how does that 13 grain measure up to a grit number or micron number?

Thanks all,

Brian

Edit: I just found some info: "The 6" (150mm) grain 15 rasp is for making very fine refinements to your work whilst the 7" (175mm) grain 13 rasp is an excellent choice for final shaping work."

And another description: "Stitching Grain
The grain is on a scale of 1 -15 where 1 is super coarse (only every used in industrial special orders) and 15 is super fine. The grain is prefixed by the letter G. You will see that we are offering the 10" cabinet rasp as a Grain 15 special order item, this is very unusual. Most work is accomplished in the G5-13 range. The modellers 6" G15 rasp is a beauty for very delicate shaping works."

Ariou's own recommendation: "
The coarsest grain for the cabinet rasp is the 12" grain 4 and this will remove a lot of material very efficiently. (1 is the coarsest grain - 15 is finest grain).
If you are buying your first rasp for general work then we would suggest 10" grain 9 cabinet rasp - it was the best seller in North America."

Brian Kent
03-21-2009, 1:08 PM
http://forge-de-saint-juery.com/acatalog/Collectors_Special_Sale.html

It's the full set of 70 Auriou's rasps.

If that's not enough, add a full set of their 72 rifflers.

Let's see, 4,000 plus 2,800…

How much is 6,800 Euros plus, shipping, handling, and taxes anyway?

Maybe you had the right idea - two for now:D!

Brian Kent
03-21-2009, 2:08 PM
Me again.

Here's an excerpt from a fine woodworking interview with Sam Maloof:

"The Surform cuts quickly, taking little, noodlelike shavings and leaving a rough surface. To clean up after it, I use a very coarse cabinetmaker's rasp. I have a range of rasps, but typically I'll use three rasps to finish an arm, perhaps starting with a Nicholson® No. 11, then using a No. 48 and finishing up with a No. 1. Depending on the contours I'm smoothing, I use both the flat and rounded sides of the rasps.

With the rasp work done, I go over the arm with a Japanese tool that is a cross between a Surform and a rasp. Called a saw rasp, it is made by Shinto and has a cutting surface that is comprised of sawblades in a waffle pattern. They are sold in coarse and fine and are available in the Japan Woodworker catalog."

Now I'm looking for info on a Nicholson #11 and #1. I'm not seeing them sold by these numbers.

Phillip Pattee
03-21-2009, 10:12 PM
The Best Things has a 3 rasp set, a 5 rasp set, and a 7 rasp set designed for cabinet makers. The three rasp set includes a 250mm (10 inch) G 9 and a 175 mm (7.5 inch) G 13, it also include a smaller and finer G 15. It seems as though they suggest the 10 inch G 9 and the 7.5 inch G 13 as a good place to start. You could get the equivalent to these from Joel (Gramercy or Ariou) or from The Best Things.

I have a flat rasp with safe sides made by F. Dick that I really like and probably use the most. I got this from Robert Larson. I have several Italian made rasps, Milani brand that I got from Dieter Schmidt fine tools. I also have some smaller rasps, purchased from Traditional Woodworker, which I believe are Bludan and made in Austria. I also have a fine cut rasp from Stuart MacDonald, Dragon Brand made in China. And Finally, I have an old Keen Kutter rasp, very large and coarse, that I got off of eBay. These are all hand cut. They all work well. I couldn't say whether one was truly superior to another. So, your rasp purchase is probably a lifetime investment, I doubt you will ever have to replace it.