PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a Jet JWL-1236

Robert Huffman
03-20-2009, 9:29 PM
I have been lurking here for some time and am interested in buying my first lathe. My current interest is bowls.

Recently I have located a Jet JWL-1236 with enough tools and accessories to make the asking price attractive - although if I proceed I will offer some less.

I have searched the Creek and have read very positive about this lathe. I have two questions:

Are there specific things I should be alert for when I see the lathe this weekend?

What year did Jet stop making this lathe in the blue/green color (this one is that color)?

Any other wisdom from Creekers will be very welcome.

Jake Helmboldt
03-20-2009, 9:50 PM
Robert, I'm new to turning but I got a very cheap 1236 so I jumped at it. I started with basic spindle work like bottle stoppers to get my feet wet and learn to turn. I've now done about 5 bowls, the largest being a 9.5" walnut one. The 1236 is a decent starter lathe, but bowls are not its strong suit. The stand is very light and flexy so you'll want to reinforce it and add some balast if you get it. Even then, it vibrates a bit with a bowl of any size. If it is a good price it might get you started, but you will likely outgrow it. I'm already figuring out what to upgrade to.

Do a search for "reeves drive" and you'll see some of the issues with the jet. It requires some maintenance, though mine is fine so far. They can get sticky and are also hard on belts. The slow speed is a bit high for bowls as well, so I did a simple modification to add a slower speed. There is a photo tutorial online (Chris someone) and it takes about 20 minutes and is worth it for roughing a bigger blank.

I'm not sure when Jet stopped using the blue paint. Some people will really bash the 1236, but I've talked to plenty of accomplished turners that will tell you it is a fine starter lathe. I've made, in my humble opinion, some pretty nice bowls that have been remarked upon. Not earth-shattering pieces, but the point is that you can do nice work on this lathe. With a little work it can be made a bit more stable, but if bowls are your primary interest you might want to consider other options.

Dean Thomas
03-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm with Jake. I own a 1236 and an older CarbaTech. Through my turners guild chapter, I have access to a Oneway, a Powermatic 3520b, the other Jet lathes (14 & 16" models plus the mini), Deltas, Generals, Vicmarcs, and others. There is no really valid complaint about the 1236, IMO, mechanically or as designed. It is limited on bowl size, and yes, I have about 80-120 pounds of tube sand on a shelf under the machine. My lathe doesn't move much. :D

Yes, if it's at a good price and if it comes with "stuff" like chuck(s), extra toolrests or even just a fair number of decent quality tools (HSS instead of carbon steel), you've probably got a winner.

Jet changed from blue to white sometime in 98 or 99 from what I can figure out. If I remember tomorrow morning, I'll call a friend and get a better date for you. Doesn't much matter. Lathe did not change, just the color on that one from what everyone tells me (everyone includes the local guy who was the local Jet service manager).

Hope it helps.

Cody Colston
03-21-2009, 7:54 AM
I've had a 1236 for four years now. It is my first and, so far, only lathe. The low speed of 550 rpm is a bit fast for large, unbalanced blanks but not a show-stopper. Plenty of ballast (I have 300# of sand on mine) will help keep it stable when roughing bowls.

I've even recently began turning large bowls outboard on mine...up to 14" diameter. It takes a bit longer and there are a couple of tricks I use but it has convinced me to put off going to a bigger (more expensive) lathe for at least another year.

I think the 1236 has been a great starter lathe and more. I have definitely gottem my money's worth out of it.

Dean Thomas
03-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Me again. Had conversation with one of my buddies. His memory is after 96 by a couple of years. That jives with what I found elsewhere. Hope that helps.

Robert Huffman
03-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks, everybody. The comments and the other comments I found searching the Creek were very helpful.

I met with the seller this afternoon. He had an unused set of Sorby tools, an unused SuperNova 2, a pile of wood, a couple of DVDs, and the Jet 1236. The lathe had only been used twice in its life. Absolutely no dirt, sawdust, or scratches. The price we settled on was very, very attractive. I pick it up tomorrow right after lunch.

Thanks again, everybody.

Dean Thomas
03-21-2009, 11:50 PM
GO BUDDY!!! You'll be pleased with the machine, I'm sure. Looking forward to pix. :D

Jarrod McGehee
03-22-2009, 3:00 PM
NICE JOB!!!!!!! I got a 1236 and I haven't set it up yet at my house but I checked it out and it's an alright lathe as far as I could tell. I've got an old PM90 in my high school shop so I use that. but the Jet seems good and I'll clear out my garage soon (hopefully I do it) and I'll set up a turning area.

terry richards
03-26-2009, 7:31 PM
I had a 1236 a few years ago. It worked fine for what I asked it to do. I agree with the others on the relatively high lowest speed for roughing and for bowls, as well as the need for ballast.

One particular issue no one else has mentioned was changing the speeds when the machine was cold. I don't heat my shop in winter except when I'm in it, so all the iron stays cold for a while.

The cold 1236 tended to react slowly to speed changes - that is, the sheaves on the reeves drive pulley did not come together immediately when the control lever on the driven pulley was moved. The belt would slip a bit until the sheaves closed up and grabbed it.

The simple cure was to run it a couple of minutes at whatever speed I left it last time I used it before changing speeds this session. That usually warmed it up enough to allow it to slide the sheaves more easily. I probably could have taken it apart and applied a lighter oil to the mechanism, but once I found the secret to making it work, the problem never caused enough frustration to merit the time.

Rick Huelsbeck
03-26-2009, 8:00 PM
I've not had a single complaint about that lathe, I've had it for 3 years now. I'm the type of person that likes to be sure my blank is balanced before I put it on the lathe so I don't wind up chasing mine around and have not had to add any ballast. I just don't think it can be good for the bearings on the poor thing to have an over out of balance piece of wood on it :D. I've done one or 2 things outboard and it's not that bad to work that way at all.

Jake Helmboldt
03-26-2009, 8:02 PM
Good job Robert; I think you'll find it a workable machine to get you started. If you get sucked in you'll have some tools and accessories already. And if you are happy sticking with the Jet, all the better.

Terry mentioned the cold issue; that is the only problem I've had with mine. I got it from a storage unit auction unused and started it up this winter. The thick grease on the drive shaft had gummed up from sitting unused, but with some lube and low temp heat gun it freed up and has been fine since, though as Terry noted on really cold days it will have a slight delay before the sheeves respond to the speed change. Something to keep an eye on though w/ dust and gunk build-up.

Make a ballast box or some arrangement one of your first projects. You might also want to put feet on it to raise it a few inches depending upon how tall you are.

Dean Thomas
03-26-2009, 8:56 PM
I put 7" of MDF between the legs and the lathe itself. Had to get a little extender for the power switch, but it's high enough and not on stilts. Added some weight to it before the sandbags got there. ;)