PDA

View Full Version : Docking Station-Or Honey can we hide those chargers?

Tom Hamilton
03-20-2009, 9:13 PM
SWMBO and I were in a furniture store recently and they had a $250 wooden box they called a docking station. Closer examination revealed a cube without a back, space inside for a power strip and shelf on top for cell phones, cameras etc.

"Honey, can you make us one of those?"

"Well, ya, uh, maybe, uh, not quite like that one, how badly do you want it?"

So, measuring, drawing, several models out of foam-core board, and here's what we came up with:

This is Bird's Eye Maple resawn to 1/4".

The ends are 6" square and the shelf if 15" long.

Our daughter saw it and of course said, "Daddy, can you make me one" Who among us could refuse.

This one is Burbinga and Bird's Eye, same size.

The ogee curve softens the profile and is more appealing to me.

Finish is a couple of coats of homemade wipe on and a Beall buffing.

Can you imagine how far we could take this concept? Raised panels, carvings, inlay, modern, 18th Century, OMG what would Mark Singer design!

I've learned a couple of things:

Make sure you know the location and the height of the plug. In the all Bird's Eye version the cord hole is not in the center of the docking station because of the distance to the corner.

If you need to have cord access from the shelf through the back a hole saw will be your friend. Gang drilling both pieces will prevent much filing, sanding, redoing and general frustration.

I'm working on a walnut idea, picture frame moulding panels, three step base moulding and crown moulding top, design!

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, enjoying the first day of spring 2009.

Mike Sandman
03-20-2009, 9:42 PM
...and maybe now that you've built a couple I'll get sufficiently inspired. I like the softening effect of the rounded-over front edge.

Thanks!

Mike Sandman

Lee Koepke
03-20-2009, 10:14 PM
I have seen some of them in stores too.

My conversations usually are the opposite though

Wife : " Oh, thats cute, we could use one of these "

Me : " Yeah, but I aint paying that kind of money for that garbage, I could build one better than that "

Wife : " uh, when ... "

:D

( i am a slow 'woodworker' )

Matt Meiser
03-20-2009, 10:31 PM
One of those has been on my list forever too. I hate the mess of cords on our counter. If someone invents a wireless charger, they are going to be very, very rich.

Russ Kay
03-21-2009, 7:28 AM
Marc Spagnuolo documented on video a nice project about building one of these on his site, The Wood Whisperer.

Keith Outten
03-21-2009, 8:10 AM
Matt,

I saw a magazine recently that had an article about wireless tools. No batteries or cords. You plug the wireless transmitter in the general area and that's all there is to it. The down side is that you can expect more junk transmission in the air and the issue of what some cell phone frequencies may be doing to the bees is still unanswered. Without bees we will all starve, not much farmers can do to keep feeding us without mother natures help.

Tom, nice build on the charging center. Power cord clutter has to be a major eyesore in every home these days.