PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #2 and 1st Segmented Bowl

Bernie Vail
03-20-2009, 8:32 PM
Well here is the 2nd bowl (and I paid attention Steve). Don't know what the wood is; it was part of a log my next-door neighbor gave me. Finish is tung oil. And here is my first attempt at a simple segmented piece. The alignment somehow got away from me in the glue-up (guess I wasn't paying attention) :) It is walnut and maple, finished with shellac.

David Christopher
03-20-2009, 9:21 PM
very nice Bernie.....I like it

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry Bernie................ No Picture. Bet it's real nice.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
03-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Well from one Bernie to another those are fine looking bowls. Like the forms and finish.

Robert McGowen
03-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Very nice form Bernie. I like the shape and colors.

Remember to line up your joints between the rings, so that they are staggered if possible. You could fit the joint of the top ring so that it lines up in the middle of the maple piece. It might possibly result in a stronger glue up and it will for sure make for a more symmetrical looking piece.

I like the way that you realized that you should put the thin pieces of walnut between the maple and cut them so that the end grain of each piece was glued together instead of glueing long grain to end grain like a lot of people might do. Overall a very nice job.

Dean Thomas
03-20-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree with Bernie #2 and Robert. Nice nice nice.

I would have liked to seen the seams on the outer ring lined up either on the maple or on the thinner walnut pieces. Centering on the maple would probably be more forgiving if there were tiny discrepancies on the larger walnut ring, but centered on something would (in my mind) have been bettah.

Still a very nice piece. Love the colors together, the basic design, and the work looks like it was done with great care and a lot of love. BRAVO!!

Jeff Nicol
03-21-2009, 5:49 AM
Bernie, The contrast between the walnut and the maple is quite pleasing to the eye!

Keep up the good work!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
03-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Nice job, very clean and neat looking. Good color combo!!

Bruce McElhaney
03-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Very interesting design. Looks great, just wish the spokes were lined up in the middle of the outer segments. Also, it looks like there's some end grain to long grain areas that could fail over time.

Steve Schlumpf
03-22-2009, 1:09 PM
Great looking bowls Bernie! Very nice work!