03-20-2009, 5:28 PM
Found this most interesting

http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/PowderCoating/Testing.html
http://tinyurl.com/7wyvc

Sears~!! Who'd a thunk it?

Chris Kennedy
03-20-2009, 5:53 PM
Sears~!! Who'd a thunk it?

I think this is exactly the problem with Sears. Some of their stuff is total junk, some of it is perfectly adequate, and some of it can be very good. You just have no way of knowing which is which.:confused:

Looks pretty cool.

Cheers,

Chris

Scott Shepherd
03-20-2009, 8:59 PM
James Riser, the gentleman who did that is one heck of a talented artist with wood, metal, and glass. You should research it a little and find his site and look at his stuff. Very talent guy with a rock solid reputation.

Perry Holbrook
03-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Anyone know if Sears still sells these systems? I searched their site for powder coating and only got the powder material.

Thanks, Perry

Never mind, I just found them on ebay.

Gary Herrmann
03-21-2009, 12:37 PM
They do. I decided to hold off. The reviews have been mixed - perhaps more bad than good.

Perry Holbrook
03-21-2009, 2:49 PM
Gary, do you happen to have an item number. I just can't find it on their site.

Thanks

Shawn Gillies
03-21-2009, 7:34 PM
I have one of these Sears Guns and for the money works very well. Your powder needs to be very dry or else it will clump.
I have to shake the gun once in a while during the spraying to get the powder to spray more evenly. I am going to buy another gun that runs off of your compressor thinking that I will get a more even distribution of powder. Even the Compressor models price is cheap so I do not have much to loose. You will soon discover that a Toaster Oven is not large enough for your future projects as you realize just how simple the process is. Dry powder,a temperature laser meter, and proper material cleaning along with heating the correct amount of time and you will have an amazing finished project completed for not much financial outlay.

Dick Strauss
03-22-2009, 3:26 PM
Even HF sells those things now...

Thomas Bank
03-22-2009, 4:39 PM
My understanding is that Sears just discontinued them. I was able to pick up two on sale for 20% of list cost - others have found them for 10% of list. That's why you are seeing them on eBay and craigslist for half price. :)

Rudy Ress
03-23-2009, 8:58 PM
Has anyone tried to powder coat some aluminum and then try to laser it before baking it in the oven? Would this be a way to colorize an engraving. Sort of the reverse of doing anodized material.

James Jaragosky
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Has anyone tried to powder coat some aluminum and then try to laser it before baking it in the oven? Would this be a way to colorize an engraving. Sort of the reverse of doing anodized material.

I purchased the HF powder coating gun for less than $80, the one that connects to your compressor.
I had some amazing results. There are tricks to learn; and dry powder is one, some guys also put the powder in a container and vibrate the heck out of it to get it loosened up.

I did try to laser it after I baked it, and is takes a lot of power to cut through after baking. lasering it before baking may be a problem because it really is just a very fine power held on to the material by a static charge and it is really easy to bump, blow, and knock powder off on the way to the oven.
I purchased a use electric stove off CL for $50 to do my power coating in. I did mostly car parts. I no longer do any in house power coating for two reasons.

Reason one; it is really bad to breath in the coating dust, much worse than paint.
Reason two; a local guy will power coat as much stuff as I can fit into his 16' x 8' oven for less than $100, some colors cost a little more. I coated a entire 1951 henry j exterior in his oven. the color was deep green; it cost me more to have it sand blasted than to power coat it.

Jim J.

Rudy Ress
03-25-2009, 6:49 PM
Thanks for the information Jim.