PDA

View Full Version : New RT - now to cut the plate hole

Bill Blackburn
03-20-2009, 1:19 PM
I built a pretty dang big RT at 32" x49" to accomdate a INCRA and lously folled ideas from others including Jointech and some here, and I now just hit the wall when it comes to cutting the hole for the plate. It's 2 layers of mdf, laminated on both sides and edge banded with maple. Looks mighty nice. I have this silly 9" x 13" opening to cut for the aluminum plate and it is scary to see the possibilities of messing it up. So bad I woke up twice last night with a nightmare I botched the thing so bad.

No template to use and they don't make one anymore - discontinued on the Rockler website it says. I lost the one I had.

I see on the web a few different ways to do it - anyone have one they recommend? Web shows pattern bit or a rabbit bit if the centers cut out first - I assume both probably work but I want the safest and easiest. I'm not router literate yet:o

Any input and any thoughts or ideas are really appreciated before I blindly go ahead and do something dumb. Thanks

Bill

Myk Rian
03-20-2009, 1:23 PM
Just had a thread about this earlier this week. Here ya go.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107349

Chris Padilla
03-20-2009, 1:45 PM
Since I assume you have a Rockler router plate, this one (http://www.woodpeck.com/inserttemplate.html#145) from Woodpeckers will not work, correct? :)

Bill Blackburn
03-20-2009, 3:25 PM
Thanks Myk - need to look more closely at this and then try it on a scrap. I think I get it but rather try a test piece.

Chris - I looked at WP and it's to small. I was tempted to just get a new plate and template from them and start fresh but it'd take time, I have a new one already and seemed wrong to quit on myself.

Now if I screw this up I will say I am an absolute idiot too for not doing so:(

Chris Padilla
03-20-2009, 3:30 PM
You can make your own template using the router plate itself. You just need the proper bearing on a pattern cutting bit along with another bearing to space things out correctly to create the rebate or rabbet or step.

Definately test on scrap pieces but I suggest taking some graph paper and and sitting down to figure out everything.

Bill Blackburn
03-20-2009, 4:02 PM
I just cut 4 pcs of mdf and then jammed tight against the plate and secured from under w/ dble sided tape.
Where I get real confused if on the proper bearing to use on a pattern bit.
I don't know for sure I even have one that's right....how does one compute that?

I know if I place a 1" hole saw bit it seems to be dead on to the corner profile-that's the only thing I have that matches it. Bigger or smaller are off.

ShopNotes has a link I found showing a hole saw being used to cut out corners, then use a jig saw to cut out inside leaving a 5/8" piece that then get routed out. They used a different plate and different bit so ....
I guess I need to figure out some math and then the rest.

Anyone want to stop by for dinner?:D

Myk Rian
03-20-2009, 4:35 PM
You could always use a forstner bit if you have the size.
Use a pattern bit with a bearing sized for a flush trim. In other words, a bearing the size of the cutter.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2009, 4:49 PM
Be sure to think carefully about the DIAMETER of your bits versus the RADIUS of your bits when you figure this stuff out. It is VERY easy to mess this small but extremely important detail up. :)

Bill Blackburn
03-21-2009, 3:37 PM
Myk - that's exactly what I ended up doing. It got finished up a couple hours ago and fits pretty snug. I'm actually kinda impressed with the fit at that.:D

Chris - When I get down the radius-diameter stuff I'll feel like I've moved beyond a true newb to a rooky. I sense a whole lot of trial and error in the interim but if that's the learning curve so be it.

I tossed on the INCRA for a looksy at the end result - still need to modify it to incorporate DC like Dizzy and others have done and finish the underside DC too. I mounted a Freud 2200 to the plate and the things bigger than I had thought so my left side cabinet needs to be modified. I should have thought this side thru better to allow for a bigger router. Oh well - it's coming along nicely, even if slowly.:o

When I get it done I'll post up a picture since you guys get some of the credit too.