PDA

View Full Version : Refurb of old Minimax FS35

Joel Spencer
03-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Greetings,

I recently found a great deal on an old (late 80s) Minimax FS35 jointer/planer. This is the mustard yellow/brown paint vintage. It has been in storage for at least the past 5 years. I have contacted Minimax and received a very poor owners manual and was told that parts availability would be hit or miss.

I am optimistic that it will only need cleaning, rust removal, new belts, and sharpening of the knives, and maybe new bearings, but the practical side of me realizes that it could be much more. It certainly would be nice to have a contact who has refurbed one of these machines.

Has anyone here gone through the process of refurbishing such a machine or have knowlege or reference material regarding maintenance of an older FS35?

Thanks,
Joel

Larry Edgerton
03-21-2009, 9:15 AM
Can't help you on that but I just broke a slider casting on my MiniMax SC10 that is 20 years old, so I may find something.

Do you have a number so I don't have to dig that up? My dealer dropped SCMI/Minimax recently so I need a new contact.

Thanks, Larry

Bob Aquino
03-21-2009, 9:25 AM
Joel
I reworked an old Makita jointer/planer. Very little documentation and parts support, but it came out fine. Don't underestimate yourself. If you can get the machine for a good price and it all seems to work then go for it. Take lots of pictures during dissassembly, so you have some bread crumbs to follow back.

Joe Jensen
03-21-2009, 5:06 PM
I refurbished a 1975 SCMI jointer recently. Same ugly brown paint. Mine was branded Rockwell/SCMI. SCMI had a parts diagram online. I wanted to buy a new factory guard. Unavailable. If the machine is complete, and nothing looks broken, I think it's a good bet. I did a complete teardown repainted all, put in a Byrd head, and new bearings. Just like a new machine, but heavier built than the new ones.

Here are before and after pics.
Before
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/_NIK2946Large.jpg
After
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/AZEngineer/_NIK3344.jpg

Bruce Page
03-21-2009, 5:11 PM
Joe, that looks awesome. What did it cost you to referb?

Joe Jensen
03-21-2009, 5:14 PM
Joe, that looks awesome. What did it cost you to referb?

I spent $89 on bearings, $70 on catalyzed auto paint, $315 for a VFD phase converter, and $775 on a Byrd head (thanks to MS Cash Back :) )

The jointer sold for $750 at auction, and another $350 to have it shipped from Las Vegas to Phx.

I spent less than most new import 12" jointers for a true industrial machine with new USA made SKF bearings and a Byrd head. I'm thrilled.

Bruce Page
03-21-2009, 5:22 PM
I'd be thrilled too. Great machine and you know it inside & out.