PDA

View Full Version : 2 cherries carving tools

Johnm Chase
03-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I was visiting one of the local wood working stores here in town Woodworkers Supply, and discovered they are eliminating most carving tools except 2 Cherries. I have been purchasing the Pfeil. I noticed the 2 Cherries are quite a bit more expensive and seem plated or some such treatment. I was wondering if anyone knows how these tools differ from the Swiss.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-20-2009, 3:46 PM
John,
I believe Two Cherries is one of the brands made by Henry Taylor. I do not own Two Cherries but I do own a considerable number of Henry Taylor and Pfeil tools. The Henry Taylor seems to be harder than the Pfeil. They hold an edge longer but if you are not careful you can break a cutting edge. Pfeil has done a really good job of refining the overall shape of their tools. Many of my Henry Taylor chisels and gouges appear rougher in shape but this has little effect on their performance, merely their astethics. I began 30 years ago with a starter set of Henry Taylor. I added to the set whenever I could not get the profile I needed from Pfeil. I like both tools and find them both to be of good quality. The British and German tools have become more expensive than the Pfeil. Perhaps that is due to exchange rates or possibly because Pfeil may have a more efficient manufacturing process. You can't go wrong with either.
Faust Ruggiero

Mike Henderson
03-21-2009, 12:49 AM
I have some Two Cherries carving tools and they're okay. But I prefer the Pfeil.

Mike

Robert LaPlaca
03-24-2009, 9:25 PM
I own three or four Two Cherries carving tools..

Yes they are expensive, they are very highly polished and lacquered like no bodies business, including the handle.. What I didn't like the most was the fact that the cutting edge wasn't even ground close to something that could be honed to an edge.. I will admit that the steel does hold an edge really well.. But it took a lot of time to get them ready for work, especially when one considers how much they cost..

I still like the Pfeil's better..

Michael Schwartz
03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Its been a while since I have used 2 cherries carving tools but I down own 2 sets of their bench chisels and they are ok in terms of edge holding but nothing special.

I prefer Pfeil, and I find they pretty much come ready to use out of the package unless you want a steeper bevel. The price is also very reasonable and they have a largest catalog by far then you will find from most woodworking suppliers.