PDA

View Full Version : I need help=Glue up problem?

Steve King
07-20-2004, 9:48 PM
I need help; like usual I got ahead of my self. I’m making my first band saw box. I started sanding and sanding and than added sanding sealer and sanding some more. Man this is starting to look good, sanded some more so I decided why not go ahead and apply Waterlox for the finish. Now the problem, I forgot to add the pull handles to the drawers. Am I correct that Hide glue will adhere the pulls to the drawers even though the pieces have been finished? Or what would suggest?
Thanks,
Steve

Don Selke
07-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Steve:
I do not know what type of handles you are using but I presume that they are wood. I would not glue them over your finish. If the handles are thick enough, you may want to drill 1/4" holes in the drawers for short dowell pins. Then use dowell centers and align up your handles. Drill the handles then glue in the dowells to the drawer and handles. Not knowing what type of handles you are using makes it a little hard to give a positive answer.

Mark Singer
07-21-2004, 1:16 AM
You should sand off the finish

Sam Chambers
07-21-2004, 7:50 AM
Steve:

As the others have said, if you're going to glue the handles on, you'll have to sand off part of the finish.

If you really don't want to do that, maybe you can attach the pulls with small screws from the inside of the drawer. If the handles are big enough, you could use those small face frame biscuits. Or maybe you could glue small dowels into holes into holes drilled into the back of the handle and the front of the drawer.

Byron Trantham
07-21-2004, 8:20 AM
Sorry dude! :mad: Sand it then add handles. ;)

Steve King
07-21-2004, 8:35 AM
I failed to mention the handles are of the same wood and the drawers (Canarywood) I was afraid I would have to sand the finish off, but I was hoping for a magical cure. I kind of like Don’s idea about using dowel pins, may give that a try before sanding.
Thanks,
Steve