PDA

View Full Version : Biscuits OK in 1/2" stock?

Michael Donahue
03-20-2009, 9:49 AM
Thanks for all the info so far folks!

I was wondering if you can use biscuits to join 1/2" thick stock, or is that too thin?

Ron Bontz
03-20-2009, 9:55 AM
I've used biscuits in 3/8". 1/2" should be ok.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
As long as they fit, go for it. Are we talking gluing 1/2" thick stock edge to edge to make a wider board?

Michael Donahue
03-20-2009, 10:41 AM
As long as they fit, go for it. Are we talking gluing 1/2" thick stock edge to edge to make a wider board?

I was thinking of butt joints for a small cabinet sorta like this one. I figured that biscuits would be the easiest to make and quick considering how many shelves it'll have.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
For a spice rack like you've posted, I think biscuits would work just fine and be relatively quick.

george wilson
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
What can happen on too thin wood is: You put in the biscuits. The wood swells around them. You sand the wood flat. After some time,when all the extra glue moisture gets out of the biscuit joints,there are now hollow spots where the biscuits are located. Best wait for a week or more to sand the wood flat around the biscuit areas,so it doesn't suck in later.

vic newsman
03-20-2009, 1:04 PM
No. 10 biscuits should be fine.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2009, 1:37 PM
What can happen on too thin wood is: You put in the biscuits. The wood swells around them. You sand the wood flat. After some time,when all the extra glue moisture gets out of the biscuit joints,there are now hollow spots where the biscuits are located. Best wait for a week or more to sand the wood flat around the biscuit areas,so it doesn't suck in later.

Good point...I need to remember to add that caveat to biscuit-related posts. However, I don't think a week is necessary but at least 48 hours.

However, However, it depends on the glue joint (edge to edge, end grain to edge), wood, wood species, location in wood, environmental conditions, amount of glue used, type of glue used.

How about this? Do the glue-up, place a straight-edge on the board maybe an hour or two after glue-up where the biscuits are and gauge a reference (if you even see anything) and then check once a day to see if anything changes. :) I'd hazard a guess that if nothing changes in a 24 hour period, the excess moisture the glue introduced is gone and the wood has restabilized.