PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"-1st Day of Spring Edition

Karl Laustrup
03-20-2009, 8:48 AM
Friday March 20, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Yep! It's the first day of spring, although it's 20º here this morning. At least most of the snow is gone after a couple of really nice warm days earlier this week. Actually made it to 72º Tuesday. That really felt good.

Well, March Madness is upon us. Personally, I don't get into it that much, but I'm sure a lot of you do. In error last week I mentioned the race at the Bullring at Bristol. As NASCAR fans know that race is this weekend. That's the product of getting old and forgetful.:o

I'm hoping to continue the cleanup of the shop this weekend in preperation for acutally making some sawdust. I'm also looking at the lawn and the prospect of spending a few days cleaning up from the winter.

As the weather starts to warm up, what's on your agenda for the weekend? Fun, games, family, work:eek:, or just vegitate and watch some B-ball?:)

Whatever is on your pallete, enjoy the weekend and make it SAFE.

Karl

Chris Harry
03-20-2009, 9:15 AM
Hope to shake the cold I currently have by doing some yard work out in the ~55 degree weather.

Always have some shop cleaning to do, and Im sure the wife has some stuff on her special todo list just for me!!

Anthony Whitesell
03-20-2009, 9:26 AM
My to do list includes:

1. Change the trucks transmission filter
2. Lumber run, once the truck is put back together
3. Change LOML's car's oil
4. Clean out the front flower beds
5. Heat up the finishing room and apply another coat of varnish
6. Finish reassembling the router table

I think I'll need a few extra hours in the weekend. Anyone know where to get some?

Rod Sheridan
03-20-2009, 9:36 AM
This is the weekend that the women volunteers will be using the shop to make new kitchen cabinet doors for a non profit group, so I'll be in the garage removing the cylinders from Diann's bike. (This is a one weekend per month event, so far they've refaced 16 kitchens).

Once the cylinders are packed up and shipped off for a rebore that should take care of the weekend, then it's off to Detroit on business.......Regards, Rod.

Karlan Talkington
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Hopefully I'll be getting around to cleaning out the gara... I mean workshop. ;) Building overhead loft above the garage doors to store some "in the way" christmas decorations. Sure wish I had an attic.

Then its back to restoring a dining table and chair for donation to Habitat for Humanity.

And then... on to the long list of to do's that's been waiting all winter for Spring to arrive. ;)

Brian Effinger
03-20-2009, 10:19 AM
I'll be going out to Rochester to visit my parents. My brother just closed on his first house, and wants me to come over and take a look and give him my thoughts on what to do with it. I was with him in February when he went looked at it, and have a few ideas already. It was owned by an older lady who had passed away, so it is a little dated in there. Every room looks like it is the set of That 70's Show. :D The one thing I have been pushing him to do is the bathroom. Puke pink fixtures :eek:. Since there is only one bathroom, I told him to redo that before he moves out of his apartment.

Looks like in addition to working on the never ending project called my house, and working on my parents house, I'll be working on a third. Oh well, I enjoy it. That is probably why I became an architect.

Brian

Jamie Delker
03-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Car work for myself as well this weekend... change the oil, wash, wax, clean the interior up good, generally spiff it up a little. Then go car shopping, I'm downsizing from a mid-size SUV to a sedan or sport model of some sort, I just don't need the room anymore. My mind says BMW, my bank account says Subaru. :)

Matt Meiser
03-20-2009, 10:49 AM
We're getting our family room ready for new carpet to be installed Monday morning. I've got the wall mudded where we took out the 1/2 wall but I need to paint it, section in a piece of baseboard trim and install oak floor transitions I made. We've also been planning to install ceiling mount speakers in there and a couple other rooms, so I want go get them in before having to work over brand new carpet.

If I get all that done, I need to clean up the shop which is a disaster after a week of house remodeling and dumping stuff out there. Maybe even try to get a little time in working on my planer restoration.

John Lucas
03-20-2009, 1:44 PM
I'll be going out to Rochester to visit my parents. My brother just closed on his first house, and wants me to come over and take a look and give him my thoughts on what to do with it. I was with him in February when he went looked at it, and have a few ideas already. It was owned by an older lady who had passed away, so it is a little dated in there. Every room looks like it is the set of That 70's Show. :D The one thing I have been pushing him to do is the bathroom. Puke pink fixtures :eek:. Since there is only one bathroom, I told him to redo that before he moves out of his apartment.

Looks like in addition to working on the never ending project called my house, and working on my parents house, I'll be working on a third. Oh well, I enjoy it. That is probably why I became an architect.

Brian

Brian,
Check the local yellow pages for the people who repaint bath tubs. I had mine done a year ago and watched his every move. A real pro with a great set up. I never thought a paint could cover a glazed tub but it did and tub and surround looked better than new.

Jim Becker
03-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Horsie stuff, replacing some burnt out floods, cleaning out some garden beds and general ratting around. I doubt I'll get in the shop this weekend...too much going on.

Brian Effinger
03-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I actually thought of that John. The tub (and everything else in the house) is in good shape, just dated. I figured that something like that would work well because it is in such good condition.

Kevin Arceneaux
03-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Get the oil changed in the truck

Then make 2 more 4X5 raised veggie beds

Don Bullock
03-21-2009, 9:16 AM
I'm going to be spending the whole weekend with about ninety basset hounds and their owners. Our local basset hound club is holding it's annual two day show this weekend.

Jim O'Dell
03-21-2009, 9:57 AM
Don, our 2 local Irish Setter clubs had their specialties back to back yesterday, and 2 all breeds, today and tomorrow. LOML went yesterday, even picked the Judge up for the second show at the airport and got her fed before going in the ring. I had to work. As I am doing right now. My Sat in the tank. Off at noon though, then I need to finish the intake pipe to the sprinkler system pump and see if it is going to all work again. Have new filters and o-rings coming for the filter, but I do have a 10 micron I can use in it. They just clog so much faster than the 50 micron units when pulling water out of a creek.
I am going to be off next Fri and Sat. First vacation days I've had since I started here a year and a half ago. I'm looking forward to the time off!! Jim.

Ben Cadotte
03-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Catching the red-eye back home from another long trip overseas. Going to have about 10 days off. Might get a couple days in the shop. Need to finish mudding new drywall, and grout tile in an added bathroom. While things are drying, I will try to sneek into the shop. But the weekend is going to be toast just due to jet lag. 13 hour flight just to get to the states. :(

Jon Grider
03-21-2009, 1:48 PM
I'm cutting and splitting firewood. On my property,the energy co. chopped down lots of cherry, red and white oak, small bit of walnut, ash, and something I don't recognize last year to keep their power lines free. They went overboard with their cutting,but they wouldn't listen to me. Well, the cleanup continues this weekend . I borrowed a friends hydraulic splitter and my son and I are bucking and splitting firewood. Any turners here in SW Michigan interested in some free cherry or oak bowl blanks, send me an email. This work reminds me that I'm not 20 years old anymore.

Myk Rian
03-21-2009, 1:54 PM
The ground finally thawed so I dug a hole for a mailbox post yesterday.
Now I'm waiting for the concrete to set so I can put the new mailbox post on it.