PDA

View Full Version : Metal Turning??

John Terefenko
03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Looking to venture into metal pen turning. Probably aluminum and brass and other alloys. My question is has anyone here done this and if so can you post some photos and also give us some insight as to the materials used, the tools and the finishing process??? I was thinking of getting a carbide cutter for these so that I do not wear my woodworking tools down so fast as I suspect you have to resharpen a woodworking tool quite often. Any suggestions on a carbide tool??? Thanks for the replys.

Dick Strauss
03-19-2009, 11:43 PM
John,
I turned some solid aluminum, brass, and copper pretty easily with HSS tools. I wouldn't bother with carbide unless you know you'll turn a ton of metal pens. Try it yourself and see what you think.

Take care,
Rick

curtis rosche
03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
if you really want to get a carbide tool. i would suggest that you go the cheap route, go to the Bay or a metal lathe tooling manufacturer and get a couple carbide blanks, then just stick them in a handle, like you would for a homemade hollowing tool. cheaper and when the carbide it used up you just buy a new peice, instead of buying a whole new tool

M Toupin
03-20-2009, 3:35 PM
Your HSS tools are fine for soft metals like brass and aluminum, you won't damage them. HSS tooling has been in use in machining for many, many years and is still used. Use your scrappers which are right in line with metal lathe tooling sans the tool post and holder.

Mike

John Terefenko
03-20-2009, 4:08 PM
Well I am going to give it a try. I have some metals coming next week. Just placed an order. Aluminum is actually pretty cheap. Brass and copper get a little pricey though.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-20-2009, 6:26 PM
Your drill bits are HSS and they do drill metal just fine, having said that, I would get some high cobalt bits (18% or 10%) that are used in metal lathes, they are much cheeper than your wood turning tools and keep an edge better when turning metal.
Just watch turning alluminium as it likes to build up onto your tool bit and seize onto the turning piece, lubrication is the remedy here, watch for the brass slivers and do wear safety glasses.