PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Box Makers and Rikon 14 Issues

Jess Wetherhold
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
So I am using a 3/16" 10RK blade which is sweet but...I cannot for the life of me set it with all of the guide bearings. When adjusting the lower bearings I set them all of the way back so they are hitting the table adjustment bolt. I still have to have the blade track to the front of the wheel and the side bearings are hitting the teeth of the blade.
I called Rikon CS and was treated rather poorly but the saw is supposed to support a 1/8" blade so I cannot find the problem. They suggested tracking the blade to the back but with the bearings backed all of the way back that is not right.
What am I missing?
Bearings cannot go back any farther, blade is to the front and I am lost.
I have no issue with the upper guides just the lower.
Does anyone else use this blade with this saw?

Jarrod McGehee
03-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Well sorry Jess, I don't have the saw and don't use it but I was checking it out and it seems pretty sweet. Is it a good saw?

Bill Davis 0302
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Jess,

I had exactly the same problem that you described, I switched from a 1/2" blade to a 1/4" and couldn't get the guides to move back far enough to clear the teeth. I finally had to take off the table and do a little filing on the piece that the guide block slides on, and it was able to move a little more, but even then it was barely enough. I am totally dissapointed with the quality of the machine work in the guide mechanism, I've been a toolmaker for 30 years and would be ashamed to put out that quality of work. I would never purchase another one of these Rikon saws!!!!! It took me about an hour to change blades and get it adjusted so I could use it, not very fun. Sorry about the vent, but I have been waiting for someone else to have a problem with this saw. I thought I did my homework, and bought a saw that had good reviews, and was liked by a lot of people, maybe it will get better after I use it for awhile, but as of right now, count me as an unhappy camper!

Jess Wetherhold
03-20-2009, 2:16 AM
Yeah, I moved to a smaller shop and reluctantly sold my 70's Delta 14" BS. What I wouldn't do to get that back but maybe someday.
I purchased this BS because I am a turner and it seemed like the best saw for turning and resaw work. It's the little things that the saw lacks. When I move into a larger shop I will definitely set it up for resaw work and get my old goodie back for everything else.
I am sure that others may chime in about the quality of the saw but let me say...if you are using these small blades this is not the saw for you IMHO.
If you have a solution to my problem then please count me wrong.

Curt Harms
03-20-2009, 8:11 AM
I use 1/4" blades minimum on my 10-325. There isn't much metal for the bearing to ride on between the bottom of the gullet and the back of the blade. Here's one case where the cool block style guides might be preferable to the bearing style guides, you can bury the blade in the guides. I did buy a Carter guide (http://www.carterproducts.com/product.asp?product_id=440&cat_id=14) setup. The Carter setup certainly isn't intended for straight line cutting, but then a narrow blade isn't the best choice for straight line cutting either. Works for me.

Curt

Scott Rollins
03-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Yep same problem here. I filed and ground on the bracket until I was satisfied. As others have said, great saw for resaw, not so good on the small blades. I think the roller bearing set-up is tedious and terrible to adjust.