PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for minor "non waxed" wood floor scratches?

travis howe
03-19-2009, 9:48 PM
Our home was built about 6 years ago w/ red oak floors across the main areas. It's in decent shape however, recently there have been some very small in depth scratches showing through from the kiddos... To the point you almost if not can feel them when running your finger across them...non-the-less they are very visable.

I really have no clue what it would be finished with, I'm not familiar what the common finish is for flooring. It's the, what I call all flush type of flooring where there are no ridges where the joints are, it's all level and flush 360 degrees.

Thanks and cheers!

Travis

Charles Lent
03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
High Gloss Polyurethane and a cotton swab. Paint in the scratches carefully, but don't over rub it. The polyurethane is self leveling and will go dead smooth just before it begins to set up. Be sure to stir (not shake) the can before you use it. While I can't guarantee that the scratches will disappear, with one or 2 coats (waiting 24 hours between), they should be much improved. I did this on my own floor to hide several scratches.

Charley

travis howe
03-20-2009, 8:51 PM
Good deal. I'll find a non obvious spot to test on.

Thanks!

Pat Germain
03-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Waterlox seems to work pretty well.