PDA

View Full Version : I'll add my off key voice to the bench chorus

Joe Meazle
03-19-2009, 6:35 PM
Ok I admit I am a bit of a scrounge. My new bench is a marriage of a chunk of bowling alley and an Army surplus parts bench. The parts bench has been left outside so the oak top was pretty well shot. I happened on to a bowling alley that was being torn down but there was only one piece of maple lane left. I know that Chris Schwarz’s book on benches is the current gospel and I broke quite a few commandments but these were in response to the shortcomings of other benches I have used and some things I have seen some other woodworkers do that I wanted to try. I am not quite done with it yet but I doubt I can keep her this clean much longer. Here are some of the vital stats. It is just under 8’ with the end vise closed and 27” wide. The end vise and the endcap are hickory. There are 2”x3” oak ribs bolted under the top to stiffen the top the front and back aprons are just over 5”. I tried to leave as much of the sings that it was an old bowling alley as I could. There are several inlaid walnut board markers left form its former life.

Thanks for looking, even though my pcitures are crap.
Joe
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/meazlejr/2009_0318pics0027.jpg

jerry nazard
03-19-2009, 7:42 PM
Joe,

It's a sure winner! Needs a name... Nimitz???

-Jerry

Justin Green
03-19-2009, 7:53 PM
That is one sweet bench! HMS Gutterball would be the name if that were my bench, because I'm such a lousy bowler.

Why aren't they tearing down bowling alleys here? Dang.

mike holden
03-19-2009, 8:03 PM
Not sure how many or even if you broke any of Chris's "commandments" with that bench.
Looks might stout to me, and you should be able to pass his clamping test easily.

The most important thing is that *YOU* are happy with it. The second is does it work for you. The third is the projects that come off it.

I think you have the first two covered, now lets see what number three looks like.

Enjoy it!
Mike

George Sanders
03-20-2009, 9:18 AM
There are no rules involved with what works and what you like. Congradulations on a functional and good looking bench.

Todd Bin
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Very nice bench. I am also eyeing your holdfasts. Would you care to share were I can pick up some of those.

Also like the flooring. I am guessing left over from the kids room. :)

~Todd

Joe Meazle
03-20-2009, 1:00 PM
Thanks Todd, I made the holdfasts during a couple f blacksmithing classes I took. The shape is based off of an old holdfast that was used on one of the anvils. The critical measurments came from a Granerecy holdfast from Tools for working wood. Joel sells those for a little over $30 a pair and i have heard nothing but good things.

The floor was just the cheapest way i could find to pad the shop floor. I think it worked to $.53 a suare foot at Sam's club. Rainbow was the only option.

dan grant
03-20-2009, 9:38 PM
that is a beast,hows chances on a pic of your saw till:)

Joe Meazle
03-23-2009, 4:22 PM
I'll try Dan. The till is real basic though. Just ome scrap cedar and a peice of 1/2" conduit.

Zahid Naqvi
03-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Joe, that bench looks mighty stout, I'll have to come check it out some day. As expected me and Dennis haven't even started yet.

Steve Clardy
03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Good looking bench Joe