PDA

View Full Version : benchtop drill press

Thad Nickoley
03-19-2009, 2:03 PM
Good afternoon all,

I am looking for a new drill press just to drill pen blanks. Does anyone know the 12" press that has the most capacity (throw)?

Thanks for your time.

Rich Engelhardt
03-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Hello,
I've been browsing for a new one myself.
The new Grizzly has a bit over 3".

(It's also got the goofy guard if that matters.)

Art Kelly
03-20-2009, 1:18 AM
I bought the Craftsman 12" benchtop DP a couple of years ago. Seems like a pretty good tool--all cast iron, 3.3" throw, pretty standard MT-2/JT-33 arbor, digital metric/inch depth indicator. The laser alignment tool is of little value for precise work. The LED work light is a joke.

If I did pens, I'd probably get a better chuck, especially if I were going to use 1/16 and smaller bits, but the chuck that comes with it is more than adequate for larger work. Be sure and keep track of the drift key that comes with it (to remove the arbor). They're hard to find except online. DAMKIKT.

It's on sale right now. I looked at the reviews; not sure what the problem was with one reviewer who couldn't keep the chuck on. I gave mine a couple of taps when I set it up and it's never moved.

Art

Cary Falk
03-20-2009, 5:04 AM
Thad,
I owned the Craftsman 12" for several years. I don't remember what the quill travel was but it was not enough for drilling pens. I eventuall got the Steel City 17" floor model for various reasons. I find drilling pens is easier and more accurate to drill on the lathe.

Cary

Rick Gooden
03-20-2009, 6:06 AM
Rikon has a 13" with 3 1/8" stroke and a 5/8" arbor. I have had one for a year and a half and have been pleased with it. I don't know how well it fits your application, I've never attempted pens.

Alex Shanku
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Find an old Delta DP220 benchtop. They are going for $150 or so these days.

4" quill travel.

Mike Ramsey
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
[quote=Cary Falk;1086700]Thad,
I owned the Craftsman 12" for several years. I don't remember what the quill travel was but it was not enough for drilling pens.

I bought the Craftsman 12" drill press this last December & it does fine
for drilling pen blanks, for me anyway.

Joel Goodman
03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
I have a dp250 (imported Delta ) and I would not recommend it. It has been a rebuild by the owner PITA from the get go. Latest malfunctions: the on off switch and the jam nut to set depth. It was however cheap.

Clint Schlosser
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I have the DP350 Delta, I originally liked it for the variable speed adjustment without belt changin, however after one replacement due to spindle running way out of round. I find it is underpowered and generally unreliable. I would say save the money and get a floor model. I am not sure how much bench space you have but most tabletop models just get in the way and generally take up valuable space vs. the amount of time they are useful. Hand drills, and lathe drilling is much better and useful in more situations than a drill press.