PDA

View Full Version : Got a General 350 this week!

Kelvin McConnell
03-19-2009, 1:56 PM
I bought my “lifetime” cabinet saw this week, a used General 350. It seems to be in very good condition and came with several extra items.

52” Biesemeyer fence with extension table
Original Leeson motor
Original miter gauge
Original blade guard
Forrest Woodworker II blade
A couple of nice Freud blades
Tapered leg jig
New uncut phenolic blade insert
Homemade dado blade insert
Homemade crosscut sled
Homemade tenon jig

I haven’t got it setup yet, but I can tell you it is VERY heavy. The trunnions on this thing is massive. It looks like you could run it over with a tank and it wouldn’t even scratch it! I switched out the 30amp plug that was on it for a 20amp and plugged it in just to hear it run.:D There seems to be an initial vibration/jerk when the motor first starts, but I figured it must be the torque of the motor coming on because it runs very smooth after that point. I’m going to get some new nuts & bolts this evening to put the rails on with. I’m really looking forward to using it, but there is a down side. I’ve been doing almost all my cutting on the other end of the basement because the shop area is full of “house building leftovers”. I guess this is going to force me to cleanup.:rolleyes:

Here is a little bit more of a gloat… I still have $75 in my pocket after buy the 350 from what I sold my Craftsman zip code saw for.:eek::D

Ken Garlock
03-19-2009, 2:17 PM
Hi Kevin. I would say you 'did good'. I have never heard of anyone not liking a General 350. :cool:

According to unofficial SMC rules: no pictures --- it didn't happen.:)

Rod Sheridan
03-19-2009, 2:47 PM
Kevin, exactly what were you thinking when you bought an imported saw???

Except that it was a steal!:D

It's a great saw, I own a 650..........Enjoy your new machine.

My 650 will run from a 15 ampere circuit as the motor is only12.5 Amperes.

What's the full load current of your saw?

Regards, Rod.

Kelvin McConnell
03-19-2009, 2:59 PM
The motor is listed at 14amps, so I think it should be ok on a 20amp circuit (plus I don't ever see me using two 220v tools at the same time).

Pics will come, but I was wanting to get it back together and the shop cleaned up some.

Gary Herrmann
03-19-2009, 3:14 PM
The motor is listed at 14amps, so I think it should be ok on a 20amp circuit (plus I don't ever see me using two 220v tools at the same time).

What about 220v DC?

You'll like the saw. I'm also very happy with my 650.

John Ricci
03-19-2009, 3:58 PM
Big congrats on the new saw from another very happy 650 owner:cool:

J.R.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-19-2009, 6:04 PM
Good luck with the 350. I bought mine new a lot of years ago. There are many new innovations since then, riving knives, left tilt and safety features but no new devices that cut any better or more true than a saw like yours when equipped with a good sharp blade and everything properly aligned. I tossed the fence it came with the day I bought mine and replaced it with a 52" Biesemeyer, a brand new concept at that time. I built a right side extension table into which I installed a router lift many years later. I added an HTC folding outfeed table, the greatest safety device you can have for long boards, built numerous zero table inserts, and countless hold down and hold in devices along with sleds for all occasions. Since mine was built before dust collection became popular in small shops, it came with an open motor. General manufacturers a fiberglass aftermarket cover that enabled me to seal the frame and collect dust. The only breakdown I ever had was the magnetic contactor which I replaced with a US built magnetic switch. I've enjoyed my 350 and had the kind of good luck I wish for you and your new saw.
Faust Ruggiero

Dave Lewis
03-19-2009, 7:28 PM
Lucky you!

I bought a Unisaw at sale a few years back - the General 350 had better machining and seemed better build quality.

Time for sawdust...

Chuck Wintle
03-19-2009, 7:36 PM
kevin,
congrats on the new saw. :D

Bob Luciano
03-19-2009, 8:37 PM
I am betting you got an even better deal than I did on mine congrats you will like it.

michael osadchuk
03-19-2009, 8:44 PM
congratulations, that was a good sale and buy cycle.......

.... I also have a General 350 and yes, it does start with a bit of an initial 'jerk' but, once started, it should run smoothly and you should have success with standing a nickel on edge just outside the perimeter of the zero clearance insert.....

good luck

michael

Bruce Page
03-19-2009, 8:54 PM
It sounds like you made out good!

Congrats!!

Kelvin McConnell
03-20-2009, 8:15 AM
Since mine was built before dust collection became popular in small shops, it came with an open motor. General manufacturers a fiberglass aftermarket cover that enabled me to seal the frame and collect dust.
Faust Ruggiero

I contacted General about a motor cover and they replied it would be $150 or $130 with dust outlet. Does that seem about right? Did you order from them or a local distributor? I had thought about making some sort of box out of 1/8" hardboard with a 3/4" frame.

michael osadchuk
03-20-2009, 9:19 AM
I contacted General about a motor cover and they replied it would be $150 or $130 with dust outlet. Does that seem about right? Did you order from them or a local distributor? I had thought about making some sort of box out of 1/8" hardboard with a 3/4" frame.

I've easily made dust covers for planers from thin plywood, bit of wood framing and some stovepipe/hvac tubing........ consider putting a bit of triangular/curved wood blocking on the inside corners so that chips don't accumulate in dead space......

michael