PDA

View Full Version : Mast-R-Slide and HTC Outfeed table

James Adinaro
03-19-2009, 1:30 PM
Hi all - I've been looking for reasons "not" to acquire the JessEm Mast-R-Slide. Maybe the recent thread on tool collecting has me feeling a little guilty.

Anyway - I have a Jet Left Tilt cabinet saw. I also have the drop down HTC outfeed roller support table - which I love and can't think of parting with. I just don't have the room for a permanent outfeed table. I do most of my crosscutting with a shop-made sled, which I also like. What I don't like is having to take it off the table saw frequently. I also have a Biesemeyer splitter (which I have bobbed to fit through my crosscut sled), and a shark guard on order if those make a difference.

So my question is - can these two be used together? Or will the slider interfere with the outfeed rollers that are flush with (or 3/8 below) the table height? I have never seen one of these in person, and can't necessarily tell from the pictures which parts slide and which are stationary.

If anyone has tried this combination, let me know. If it just absolutely won't work, then let me know that too.

Thanks! James

Phil Harding
03-19-2009, 2:12 PM
[quote=So my question is - can these two be used together? Or will the slider interfere with the outfeed rollers that are flush with (or 3/8 below) the table height? I have never seen one of these in person, and can't necessarily tell from the pictures which parts slide and which are stationary.

If anyone has tried this combination, let me know. If it just absolutely won't work, then let me know that too.

Thanks! James[/quote]

James, I don't have experience with the combination you are considering but I do have a Jessem Mast-R-Slide on my Grizzly left tilt cabinet saw. I installed it by removing the left wing and cutting the Biesemeyer fence rails. This is the recommended way to install it, so if your HTC rollers extend beyond the left side of the saw table you would have to somehow modify it so that the Mast-R-Slide can slide past it. Maybe you could just slide it to the right and reattach it.

You could attach the Mast-R-Slide without removing the left hand wing but that moves the miter fence's pivot point further away from the saw blade. Also, you probably would not want to leave the Mast-R-Slide's miter fence installed when you are making rip cuts. It's easy to take off and put back on without having to realign it to the saw blade, but this is not much different than what you are currently doing with your crosscut sled.

-- Phil

Mark Carlson
03-19-2009, 3:03 PM
If you replace your left extension with a Jessem slider, your HTC outfeed rollers can not extend beyond the main part of your tablesaw. Also, as Phil said you will still need to remove the Jessem fence when ripping otherwise it will get in the way. I love my Jessem slider.

~mark

James Adinaro
03-19-2009, 7:23 PM
Thanks guys.
I'm not sure if I could move the HTC table over or modify it.
This moves the slider further down the list, "for further study".
(whew)

James