PDA

View Full Version : Loading a Table Saw

Paul Ryan
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey,

Guys I know I have seen tips on how to load a cabinet saw into a pickup before. But I can't seem to find them. I have been doing seaches all morning and cant find a darn thing. Any help loading the saw or links to a thread would be greatly appriciated. It is a 500lb saw that needs to go in the back of a 4wd Dodge Ram. Thanks

Rod Sheridan
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Paul,

When I picked my cabinet, I only had to lower it to the ground from a minivan.

We put a couple of boards (2 X 10) and slid the saw down the boards on its back, ontop of a piece of cardboard.

With a couple of helpers you could do the same thing with a truck, except in reverse.

Regards, Rod.

Bob Rufener
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Paul,

I also have a pick up but when I picked up my Unisaw, I rented a trailer with a ramp in the back. 3 of us were able to easily roll the saw up the ramp and into the trailer. Lifting up as high as a pickup is a hernia waiting to happen. A tilt bed snowmobile trailer might be another choice.

Trace Beard
03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I bought a used 2 ton cherry picker/engine hoist on CL for $65 and it works extremely well.

John Ricci
03-19-2009, 11:36 AM
+1 on the 2 ton cherry picker although I bought a new one. It will lift anything I have in the shop and I never have to rent an engine crane again.

J.R.

Eric DeSilva
03-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I just used an appliance dolly and some ATV metal ramps. Plus a friend.

Chip Lindley
03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
My Daddy always said: "One man can move a lot if he just plans ahead! He had to deliver (and repossess) home appliances all alone, back in the post-WWII recession years--before TommyLifts! All he had was a 2-wheel dolly.

The saw can be tilted back against the tailgate, between 1/3 to 1/2 the way from its top. (protect the back with cardboard and plywood) By finding the fulcum point of the saw, it can be tilted, lifted, and slid up into the truck bed. You only have to handle about 1/2 its weight at once.

Sometimes blocking under the saw is needed to raise its height for best mechanical advantage. 500 lbs. is job for 2 men. There is always help available--Get It if at all possible. But, I have loaded Lotsa Stuff in pickup beds over 20 years all by myself.

Paul Ryan
03-19-2009, 1:09 PM
Chip

That was my plan I just wanted to see what others thought. I did the reverse procedure when I unloaded the saw. I also have the use of a chrry picker. But that cherry picker would never lift the saw high enough to get it into the pick up. I have 3 other buddies on there way over so I am not too worried. But if we were going to try and lift it straight up I was a little worried. That is still about 125lbs a piece. I was going to take the tires off the rear and lower the axel down on to blocks so the rear drums were only 1/2 off the floor. But I like the idea of just blocking the saw up before it goes into the pick-up. Thanks alot guys.

Scott T Smith
03-19-2009, 1:31 PM
If you have access to a horse trailer with a ramp, it's real easy to roll an appliance dolly up the ramp and into the trailer. Low to the ground, long ramp, and enclosed and secure for transport.