PDA

View Full Version : First GLOAT...Cherry Lumber

Andy Haney
07-20-2004, 12:52 PM
The pic is primarily for Chris Padilla, as he seemed to be most emphatic about pictures as proof of the cherry tree. All was rough sawn at 4/4 thickness. I thought it was cool that the whole process (bandsaw) only generated a little more than three 5-gallon buckets of sawdust, and start to finish was about 3 hours. The stack is approximately 4 feet wide and 8 feet long (some longer, most a little shorter), and is 12 layers tall. I’m guessing about 300 board feet. The concrete slab used to be home to a friend’s hot tub, since removed and decked over. Couldn’t think of a better flat spot that is shaded/protected...further, his wife said it was O.K. !!!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2004, 1:04 PM
Just one comment Andy...........I AM GREEN!

Gary Whitt
07-20-2004, 1:05 PM
Nice stash!!! :rolleyes:

I see some more pictures in the furure (of furniture)! ;)

Kent Cori
07-20-2004, 2:04 PM
Don't be suprised if your friend moves in the middle of the night and "accidentally" takes your pot 'o gold cherry pile with him! ;)

Steve Clardy
07-20-2004, 2:45 PM
Nice stash Andy. Reminds me when I had my woodmizer.
Steve

Joseph N. Myers
07-20-2004, 3:33 PM
Andy,

Real nice.

Have you sealed the end yet? Can't really tell by the picture. Also, not sure what you are covering the pile with but it is best to put a layer of stickers on top of the pile and cover that with flat plywood with weight on top of that. It both allows air to flow over the top of the pile and helps keeps the boards straight.

Regards, Joe

Greg Heppeard
07-20-2004, 3:43 PM
I think I need to make a quick trip to Ottawa KS in the near future :rolleyes: Nice haul guy ! ! !

Andy Haney
07-20-2004, 3:49 PM
Thanks for the top layer circulation comment Joe. I need to get a sheet of something under the tar paper. Weight could be another issue, as there isn't much room under the deck. However, I'll give it a shot.

I sealed the ends of the logs (as I cut the tree) with a dark green latex paint obtained from the local recycling center (free). However, prior to milling there was some checking in the ends of the logs. I've considered applying another coat of something on the ends. Think it will help?

Andy

Joseph N. Myers
07-20-2004, 4:37 PM
Andy,

Applying another coat of "latex" paint shouldn't hurt. The sealant is meant to slow down the drying at the ends of the board. Latex breaths and hence, should be good. (The same logic applies to laxex as a primer instead of oil based --- at least, that is what I've been told).

As you can see from the attached photo, it is not nice if you do not seal the ends. This is the result of some walnut that I've been preparing for a project --- the lumber used to be 12' long, now not so long (pieces are between 12" and 20"). The good news is that the bed is only 8' long.

Regards, Joe

Tom Sontag
07-21-2004, 3:42 PM
It is probably too late to seal the ends as they are. Whatever checks have begun will not stop growing with another layer of paint.

Acrylic paint is not considered ideal as an endcoating. You need a waxy "paint" like Anchorseal. If you really want to save 3" of the expected 6" waste you will have, you would need to cut off the end 2-3" of each board and coat the fresh cut with a more suitable coating. IMO not worth it at this stage. The paint you used is probably better than nothing and using it immediately after exposing the endgrain is correct practice. Next time just use Anchorseal or melted paraffin or something like that.

As for the top, why not just tack the tar paper or some opaque plastic to the underside of the deck? Probably no need to put weight on top either - it takes a HUGE amount of weight to really make any difference and cherry is reasonably well behaved anyhow.

Jack Diemer
07-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Hmmm, I don't live to far from Ottawa KS. :D Never stolen anything before, but that pile of Cherry sure looks nice. Maybe I'll let it season a year or two before planning my big heist.