PDA

View Full Version : Essentials for a shop

Terry A Dunn
03-19-2009, 9:50 AM
Hello everyone

Im new here, just happened on this site and love it and the knowledge. Im a beginner here (was a rough framer and builder for 25 years)

I have a good TS, all the hand tools, routers, planners, guns etc.

Was wondering what would you recommened in order, the essentials for a shop.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek!

What do you want to build? Furniture take a different set of tools then cabinets do.

Pretty universally, a bandsaw is a good idea, and high on the list. For cabinets, a smaller one is ok, for furniture you may want to consider big resaw capacity. For furniture, a jointer will be required, and it would also be usefull for doors and such on cabinets. A chopsaw is a good idea, but I suspect you already have one of those. A drill press is useful, and a good dust collector is nearly requred. You said you had planers, but a jointer/planner combo may be appropriate for an upgrade. Beyond that, you can look at shapers, which can add huge capabilities to you arsenal, mortisers, that save time, lathes, for little details, and the rest of the more speciallized tools. Don't overlook the little things, like clamps, and other hand tools like pocket screw jigs, plate jointers either, maybe a Domino.

The order really depends on what you want to build. Buy the tools needed for the upcoming projects. Good luck!

keith ouellette
03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
A router table is very important in a lot of projects. Probably one of the most rewarding tools.

It can also be used to edge joint well enough to do panel glue ups if you don't have a jointer.

A jointer would be next on my list because I find flattening your wood is very helpful in almost all applications an it is much better for edge jointing than a router table is.

If you have money and space....

Buy everything. Even if you don't use it you will like having it.

glenn bradley
03-19-2009, 10:39 AM
There will be endless variations but, why not?

Marking and Measuring tools

- this could be a separate thread but, tape, set of rules, square, etc. that all agree ;)

Tablesaw / Bandsaw
Jointer
Planer
Router / Table
Hand saw(s)
Block plane (at least)
Chisels (sizes and types will vary with your work)
Glue
Abrasives
Finishes

Larry Fox
03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
There will be endless variations but, why not?

Marking and Measuring tools

- this could be a separate thread but, tape, set of rules, square, etc. that all agree ;)

Tablesaw / Bandsaw
Jointer
Planer
Router / Table
Hand saw(s)
Block plane (at least)
Chisels (sizes and types will vary with your work)
Glue
Abrasives
Finishes

... and wood. :)

keith ouellette
03-19-2009, 11:19 AM

That reminded me of something else.

Wood storage racks of some kind. You are probably always going to have wood. Wood your getting ready to use now, wood your planning to use later and wood Your not sure when your going to use but you know your keeping it.

Bob Slater
03-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I find my jigsaw very useful.

Wilbur Pan
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Time. That's the thing I need most in my shop. ;)

Prashun Patel
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
You need wood. Just jump into a project and determine what you need from there.

Von Bickley
03-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Terry,

Welcome to "The Creek".....

My suggestions would be.

1. If you have room, an outfeed / assembly table for the TS.
2. If you have room, an outfeed table for the miter saw.
3. A simple router table to start with a designated router.
4. Several routers. You can't have too many routers.
5. A pocket hole jig.
6. A good jig saw, cordless drills and impact driver.

Hope this helps..... :)

Andrew Joiner
03-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Money and a good sense of value. You have all you need to make cabinets if your close to good sources of S3S lumber.

For cabinets and most modern furniture I'd buy or make a vertical panel saw if your a one person shop.

A bandsaw is needed to copy traditional designs and for heavy curves.

Terry A Dunn
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome fellas. Yes I have a router table and things like that. All hand tools, in fact I have to many. I was thinking more along the lines of cabinet building, I do alot of remodeling and buying lder homes and fixing them up, have built my own cabinets.

The advise I was looking for was along the lines of a planer, shaper, sander etc.

I had a guy locally that is selling a Powermatic 15" planer/moulder for $1900 (seems a little high as you can buy them new for 2200.00) but is really something that will be useful.

I fear I may be like alot of guys, I just love to buy tools. I was thinking about a raised panel machine, ProCut has on for $3900

keith ouellette
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
If you've got that kind of money i would get larger than a 15" planer. If you are doing remodles and building cabinets the big planner will be a benefit as well as a large drum sander. between the two i would get a large drum sander.

It can be a great help in refinishing doors on old cabinets or in preping new ones for stain.

Jeff Willard
03-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Clamps. And then, more clamps.

Chris Tsutsui
03-19-2009, 1:47 PM
For the carpenter without a garage, I started off with these essentials and my first project was a Tornado Foosball table with side ball return:

Circular Saw and metal Straight Edge
Jig Saw
Orbital Sander
Clamps and Glue
Shop Vac

Here's the big 4:

Table Saw
Band Saw
Jointer
Planer

My other favorites:

Assembly table/bench/torsion box. (need a place to work)
Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Router Table/Shaper
Air Compressor (for brads, nails, blower, etc)
Drum Sander (I want one)
Drill Press
Scroll Saw
Oscillating Spindle Sander
Disc Sander/Belt Sander

Then to expand on that:

Dust Collector is important addition to all tools above
Air Filter can help keep shop air clean.
Track saw with sawhorses, or Panel Saw for large sheets/cross cuts.
Radial Arm Saw? (I just use a sliding compound miter saw)
Hollow Chisel Mortiser or loose tenon machine/biscuit jointer

Machines I've seen pro shops have:

Edge Bander (You can use an iron)
Spindle boring machine (I used a multi spindle machine before and they are time savers but you can just use a jig and a drill)
Pocket screw machine (Super fast, though just get a kreg jig instead of this)
Under cut-off saw (these are awsome and fast, but I just have a sliding compound miter saw)
Vacuum press (Nice for laminates, but I just use clamps and roller)
Lathe for turning bowls, legs, etc.

Hmm, That's all I can remember from my experience in a cabinet shop.

John Keeton
03-19-2009, 1:53 PM
Was wondering what would you recommened in order, the essentials for a shop.Terry, you realize, I am sure, that you just asked a bunch of tool addicts to suggest which tools for you to buy!;)

And, welcome, by the way!

I think you will get endless suggestions, but my philosophy is to pick a project, and buy the tools you need for that project - then pick the next project and so on - until the money runs out!

glenn bradley
03-19-2009, 1:55 PM

DOH!!!

And somewhere to stack it :D
and clamps
and somewhere to hang them
Some hard foam insulation to put on the floor to break down panels
and a Bosch jigsaw
and a mallet for your chisels
and sharpening stuff for your cutters
and a cabinet scraper
and a file and rod to keep the edge fresh
and, and, and . . . . you get the idea ;-)