PDA

View Full Version : Am I even allowed to gloat?

dan lemkin
03-18-2009, 11:15 PM
It has been a really rocky road... setting up this shop. As many of you have endured... there were some issues with various machines I purchased.... So this is not so much a gloat, but a deep sigh...

BUT

It appears that all is finally right in my sawdust world. My little garage now sports: A sawstop contractor with extras... a MM FS35... A G1035 shaper... A Griz 2hp DC... A Leigh 24" Superjig.... A homebuilt downdraft table... a ridiculous compressor.... and a bunch of cellulose material to cut and form.

The sawstop came totally dialed in, good parallelism <0.004, flat tables, WWII blade.

The FS35 is awsome as billed... Man it produces lots of chips... I face jointed a few boards and found that the canister of my DC was crammed tight with chips... that was fun to clean:rolleyes:

The G1035 is cute. fence is a bit too far forward for router bits, but workarounds are managable.

Leigh jig -- I keep chipping out... need to try new bits, or the tape tip someone posted.

Oh... just to confirm that I am cursed... my 6mo old (totally overpriced) Lochinvar condensing boiler - had a gas relay valve die... which I am told... never happens. Good thing we have our hot water tied into it. ;-)

J. Z. Guest
03-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Looks like you have the tools, but they're kind of just thrown in there?

Nice tools though. The only thing missing is sawdust. ;)

keith ouellette
03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
That sure is some nice stuff. it was worth the trouble.

dan lemkin
03-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Looks like you have the tools, but they're kind of just thrown in there?

Nice tools though. The only thing missing is sawdust. ;)

Sawdust is in three trash bags in driveway... DC + leafblower = clean floor. Wife won't let me perm take over the garage, so everything is mobile. The DC is fixed to a wall. So the TS and JP are nearby...

The garage is only 18 x 18... and I was leaving room for temp table I set up for assembly... I would love recommendations for layout.

Don Bullock
03-19-2009, 8:15 AM
First off Dan, congratulations. Your perseverance is an inspiration. Hopefully now you can continue making sawdust and wood chips.

...Wife won't let me perm take over the garage, so everything is mobile. ... I would love recommendations for layout.

BTDT -- After 36 years of marriage and my pending retirement a few years back the LOML finally relented and let me take over the garage. Now, well hopefully soon, I'll be able to move into my completed new shop/garage with more than twice the space. Keep up the hope Dan. Things may change.:D

Paul Greathouse
03-19-2009, 8:40 AM
With all you have been through, you deserve a gloat more than anyone. Congratulations on the tools.

Rick Huelsbeck
03-19-2009, 9:47 AM
With all you have been through, you deserve a gloat more than anyone. Congratulations on the tools.

I absolutely agree :D

Paul Murphy
03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Dan, glad to read that things are finally better with your new tools. To combat tearout on the Liegh jig, have a look at page 62-63 of the manual (pages 18-19 of this download).
http://www.leighjigs.com/data/SJ%20UserGuide%20Ch12-15_080820.pdf

Chip Lindley
03-19-2009, 11:33 AM
......Wife won't let me perm take over the garage......

Um....what do you NOT LET your wife do permanately?? Hmm...

Charlie Knauer
03-19-2009, 6:34 PM
Dan, glad things are all good. You have to keep the wife happy :):).

Charlie

Paul B. Cresti
03-19-2009, 8:47 PM
Since I assume that the second FS35 came in OK perhaps you should have that shipper make a gloat! ;)

Jerry White
03-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Dan, any one of those items would qualify for a gloat. This is a multi-gloat! A well deserved one, too, after all the patience you exhibited with the recent run of shipping disasters.

I'm glad you posted, as I have been wondering how the MM FS35 is working out for you. It looks like you are well set up for a long time.