PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to go Fishing?

Sean Troy
03-18-2009, 8:18 PM
Ya think you could get to your favorite fishing hole pretty quick with this?

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2009, 9:49 PM
Seems like it would be pretty hard to keep them all in synch.

When I was a kid, at a marina at Lake Tahoe where we went fishing while on vacation, a guy was dropping a 392 hemi into a 22' water ski boat (out of a '57 Chrysler)it .

We went back a few months later and asked about it, and the Marina people all started laughing hysterically. Turns out the guy idled out of the marina and jumped on it, and it pulled the rear of the boat under water and sank.

Paul Greathouse
03-18-2009, 11:50 PM
He's probably just one of those worry warts thats afraid 6 or 7 of his motors might go out and he will need the 8th to get back to the landing.:D

Rob Russell
03-19-2009, 8:25 AM
I wonder if they only use 4 at a time ... either the inside set or the outside set.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2009, 8:34 AM
Outside motors are for getting there - inside motors are for trolling!

Angus Hines
03-19-2009, 9:19 AM
Actually that boat was confiscated in England I believe. Because they were using it to run Drugs back and forth across the English Channel.

And apperantly it took a while as when it went by on radar it was on screen for about 3 blips and then gone.

David G Baker
03-19-2009, 9:20 AM
Is that one of the boats designed to out run the Coast Guard? :D
I rode on a Sheriff's patrol boat on the Sacramento River that had twin 235 HP motors that would stand the Boston Whaler's nose up into the air. I can't imagine what 8 motors would do if they were all cranked at once.

phil harold
03-19-2009, 9:34 AM
Seems like it would be pretty hard to keep them all in synch.

When I was a kid, at a marina at Lake Tahoe where we went fishing while on vacation, a guy was dropping a 392 hemi into a 22' water ski boat (out of a '57 Chrysler)it .

Reminds me of my coworker with an 8 ft john boat with a 35 hp johnson
if you turned the motor all the way in one direction the boat would do pirouettes...

We named the boat 'Brain Damage'

Rob Russell
03-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Just imagine waterskiing or wake-boarding behind that thing!

Dave Verstraete
03-19-2009, 3:40 PM
Rob
Forget wakeboarding...think surfing:eek:

Bob Rufener
03-19-2009, 4:15 PM
Even with gas below $2.00 a gallon, I'm glad I'm not paying the fuel bill.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-19-2009, 5:40 PM
Actually that boat was confiscated in England I believe. Because they were using it to run Drugs back and forth across the English Channel.

And apperantly it took a while as when it went by on radar it was on screen for about 3 blips and then gone.

Is that because there was almost no metal on the boat?

I should go into the submarine building business.
The guys in Columbia would make excellent customers. They always pay in cash.

Rich Stewart
03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
When I was a kid I remember an old timer telling me that two motors won't make your boat go faster than one, it just gives you more power. To this day I wonder about that statement. Anybody know the physics on that? If that were the case, this boat would make a good shallow water tug boat.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-20-2009, 2:45 PM
When I was a kid I remember an old timer telling me that two motors won't make your boat go faster than one, it just gives you more power. To this day I wonder about that statement. Anybody know the physics on that? If that were the case, this boat would make a good shallow water tug boat.

That may have some validity if the motors were in series with one another. That is, one motor closely in front of the other motor with the same rotation and prop pitch.

However, in parallel (or side by side), two motors will make the boat faster, but certainly not twice as fast. Other forces (like drag) grow exponentially with speed thereby requiring a lot more power to go just a little faster.

-Jeff :)

Chuck Durst
03-22-2009, 9:08 AM
Outside motors are for getting there - inside motors are for trolling!
What kind of fish do you troll for with 4 motors, do you really want to pull that bad boy in the boat with you ???
Fishing in Canada with my father back in 1978 I caught a muskie that was 4 ft long and we put it in the little boat with us, then we proceded to get on the seat and let the muskie have the bottom of the boat.

Chuck

alex grams
03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Speed and horsepower on boats is exponential.

You can move a tanker at 1 knot in ideal conditions with a few hundred horsepower, 5 knots with a thousand, but to cruise at 20 knots, you need 20thousand or so.

I doubt that thing goes more than 10% faster with 8 motors than it does with 4-5.

David Epperson
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I doubt that thing goes more than 10% faster with 8 motors than it does with 4-5.
It all depends upon the pitch of the props. There could be several different pitches involved in that boat - sort of like the gears in a car. Power props to get going, speed props to take over at the top end of the powers, and really steep pitches to go real fast (but that would simply cavitate on a dead stop start).

Al Willits
03-23-2009, 4:23 PM
It all depends upon the pitch of the props. There could be several different pitches involved in that boat - sort of like the gears in a car. Power props to get going, speed props to take over at the top end of the powers, and really steep pitches to go real fast (but that would simply cavitate on a dead stop start).

I doubt that would work well, but your prob close, you could prop each motor the same, but with the idea being each motor is pushing less weight than with less motors so you could add more pitch or diameter maybe?

Al