PDA

View Full Version : Sherwin Williams Super Paint Vinyl Formula on PVC and acrylic

Larry Bratton
03-18-2009, 7:30 PM
I was looking for technical info on painting my favorite PVC, Celtec. I am producing some signs to be used outside, so I called Celtec. They told me about a product they recommend..Sherwin Williams paint for vinyl siding. OK, so I call Sherwin Williams and sure enuff in their Super Paint line they use a special formula so that vinyl siding can be painted and with darker colors. I purchased some for my project and am very pleased so far with the application to Celtec, (which, by the way, does not require priming). This paint covers very well and really sticks to the PVC. Nice finish.

What is interesting is this. I wondered it you could paint acrylic with it. So, while I was painting yesterday, with a roller, I painted a piece of clear acrylic. Today, I checked it and it was a beautiful finish. Textured by the knap of the roller and excellant adherance to the acrylic. I also tried it on a piece of Rowmark ADA applique..worked there too. It's water based, unlike spray stuff like Krylon etc. Not real expensive either..around $25-30 a gallon. If you try it, be sure you tell them the vinyl siding formula otherwise they will just give you the regular stuff. It says it has a 25 year warranty too. I haven't read the warranty, but it is so stated on the label.

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2009, 9:51 PM
Nice find, thanks for sharing, sounds a lot easier than what I've been doing.

Albert Nix
03-19-2009, 8:15 AM
Larry where di you buy thr paint? Does home depot or lowes carry it?

Larry Bratton
03-19-2009, 9:04 AM
Larry where di you buy thr paint? Does home depot or lowes carry it?
Albert:
Any Sherwin Williams paint store. They have them everywhere. No, I don't think Home Depot or Lowes carry SW as they have their own professional paint sales.

Keith Outten
03-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the tip Larry. I have recently started making door signs with a back loading window machined in the center so the text can be changed easily. I spray painted the blue ADA substrate plastic with a ivory Krylon color and laser engraved the text which looks real nice. The paint matches Vanilla Corian almost perfectly. I hadn't thought of using blue acrylic and painting it ivory, it may provide a better solution than using engravers plastic.

Ken Garlock
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi good people.

Do you think the paint would work well on the PVC pipe many of us use for dust collector duct work??:confused::confused:

Richard Rumancik
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks Larry for the lead.

Here is another suggestion for people trying to coat "difficult to paint" surfaces. The company is called XIM and the two products I have tried are XIM UMA Primer Sealer and XIM 400 White Primer.

http://www.ximbonder.com/products.asp?id=20

The UMA is water based and the 400 is solvent based. Both are interior/exterior and can be topcoated with "almost anything". They have a few other products that may be useful for signs/awards etc.

I think the XIM products are more expensive than the Sherwin Williams product but they might be a solution for someone's project on this forum.

Larry Bratton
03-19-2009, 6:32 PM
Ken:
Don't know but I would think it would. I was amazed when it stuck to that acrylic like it did. If I have some pieces of pipe around here, I'll try it.

Larry Bratton
03-19-2009, 6:33 PM
Thanks Larry for the lead.

Here is another suggestion for people trying to coat "difficult to paint" surfaces. The company is called XIM and the two products I have tried are XIM UMA Primer Sealer and XIM 400 White Primer.

http://www.ximbonder.com/products.asp?id=20

The UMA is water based and the 400 is solvent based. Both are interior/exterior and can be topcoated with "almost anything". They have a few other products that may be useful for signs/awards etc.

I think the XIM products are more expensive than the Sherwin Williams product but they might be a solution for someone's project on this forum.
Yep, I've used the XIM primer..it works.