PDA

View Full Version : Which Lathe?

Robert LaPlaca
03-18-2009, 5:55 PM
I would like to purchase a lathe that I can use to turn the bottom of cabriolet legs and small spindle work. I enjoy building 18th century furniture and don't believe that any large bowls are in my future..I can see myself needing at least 36 inches between centers for legs.

If you had your choice of a Jet 1642EVS, Nova DVR XP + extension or a Oneway 1224 + bed extension, which lathe would you pick? Is there something else you would pick and why?

David Walser
03-18-2009, 6:11 PM
That's a good question, one that I'll avoid answering directly. If all you're going to turn are spindles, I still might go for the Powermatic 3520B (with a bed extension). The PM does not cost that much more than the Oneway 1224 with a bed extension and it has more horsepower and mass. The extra beef is NOT required for turning spindles, but it still comes in handy. Besides, if you may not plan on turning large bowls, but you might want to turn a large medalion or a candlestick table top. Even if you don't use it, I've never found extra capacity and flexibility in my tools a bad thing!

Having said that, of the three options you gave, I'd go with the Oneway -- assuming money is not object. The Oneway is a better lathe than the others. The other two are fine lathes and will do everything you say you want -- they just don't have the leather interior, power sunroof, and deluxe sound system the Oneway comes with.

Jeff Nicol
03-18-2009, 7:10 PM
I have turned on a Oneway 1224 and I think it is a tad underpowered for the price. I have the PM3520B also and it hard to beat and has tons of power and mass. You say that you are'nt going to turn bowls, but if you have a lathe, you will turn bowls. It is something that we have no control over! The vortex is strong and very addictive! So buy the biggest lathe you think you may ever need. Then later wish that you had bought a bigger one like the rest of us!

Jeff

John Fricke
03-18-2009, 7:19 PM
I always try to buy the most features and the best quality I can afford at the time. Lengthens the time frame until you wish you had something bigger and better. Cheap and discount has a place but not in my major tool purchasing decisions. I myself am struggling with decision between 3520b and the jet 1642evs. I will have the money to buy the jet by fall. Will probably take me until next summer to get the mustard. (My wife and I have destroyed all our credit cards, we both vow if we can't pay cash we wait.) I hope I have the willpower to hold out for the mustard.

David Walser
03-18-2009, 7:36 PM
...I myself am struggling with decision between 3520b and the jet 1642evs. I will have the money to buy the jet by fall. Will probably take me until next summer to get the mustard. (My wife and I have destroyed all our credit cards, we both vow if we can't pay cash we wait.) I hope I have the willpower to hold out for the mustard.John, I'm a strong advocate of the PM and think it's the best value in full sized lathes. Still, without knowing your age, health, and other important factors, I suggest you get the Jet this Fall. From a quality perspective, the two are on par. The PM has a larger swing over bed, but its capacity is NOT larger than the Jet's when you consider the ability to turn off the end of the lathe that comes with a sliding headstock. The PM has more mass and horsepower, but I'd be hard pressed to think of something you could turn on the PM that you couldn't turn on the Jet.

If you had the money to buy both today, I'd say go for the PM. On the other hand, you'll be able to afford the Jet 6 - 9 months before you could buy the PM. You could turn a lot in that length of time! How much is that worth? I'm just asking....

Leo Van Der Loo
03-18-2009, 7:42 PM
Of the choices given above, and the bowl turning taken out of the picture, you can't compare a Nova or Jet with a Oneway lathe, the Oneway being the better lathe by far.
Now if you want to start turning larger bowls then you would need a larger lathe and more mass, also with a larger swing more HP, and in that case the two other lathes are lightweights as well.
But for mainly spindle turning I fail to see how you can go better than a Oneway 1224 lathe unless going for a Oneway 1640, you would have your 40" between centers right there and a real 2 HP motor if you like also, no Chinese ponies :rolleyes:.

Tom Steyer
03-18-2009, 7:49 PM
Robert,

Of the three lathes you mentioned, I would recommend the Jet 1642 with the two hp option (assuming that 220v power is not a problem). I have had this lathe for two years, and am completely happy with it. Two horsepower, infinitely variable speed control, larger mass, longer ways, sliding headstock, very high level of customer satisfaction, easily adaptable to vacuum chucking, five-year warranty - some of the advantages.

Many turners on this forum make beautiful and substantial turnings on the Jet 1642, and I think it is very highly regarded here. With the 2hp motor, the power is superior to the others you named, and the price/value position for the Jet is very strong compared to the others with the bed extension options.

Finally, unless you consistently want to turn large diameter bowls and hollow forms, you do not need a larger lathe - the 1642-2hp will do an excellent job.

Robert LaPlaca
03-18-2009, 9:08 PM
I think I have gotten 3 1/2 votes for the PM 3520B, 1 1/2 votes for the Jet 1642 and only one vote for the Oneway 1224 so far..

I did learn from this posting that the PM 3520B has a bed extension available, which get me my >= 36" between centers

John Fricke
03-18-2009, 9:28 PM
I believe Powermatic is still offering free 18" extension. Not sure how long the offer lasts. I'm not positive but I believe it is around a $350 option.

Gary Max
03-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Here's a biggie-----Service-----PM has a big service center on the south side of Nashville Tn.

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Robert - I have a Jet 1642 EVS, 2 hp and find it does everything I ask of it. If - for sure - you only are going to turn spindles - then this lathe will work for you. Already comes with 42" between centers, has plenty of weight (for spindles), sliding headstock and the 2 hp motor has power to spare. Should you decide that you want to turn bigger things - this lathe will also allow for a certain amount of growth - but - there is no substitution for mass. Without having any more info to work with... if money is no object - get the Powermatic and chances are you will never feel the need to upgrade to a larger lathe.

Best of luck with your decision! Hope to see photos of your new lathe real soon!

Alan Trout
03-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Right now the nova DVR is on sale at a great deal at Woodcraft. Mine has more mass than any of the others listed with the custom built stand that I made. Has more center to center distance at 46" when the swing away is installed with the bed segment and with outriger you cant turn 29" all in a lathe that takes up about as much room as a mini lathe. Not a bad deal. All the lathes listed ar nice capable machines and all will serve you well. However if it was my choice without question The Nova or the Jet because in my opinion they are more versitile machines.

here is a link to my setup. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99001

Good Luck

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
The Nova DVR is on sale now for $1699 which is $500 less than I paid for mine. You could get the cast iron legs for it and like I did put a shelf on the legs for 300# of sand. I love mine and it is solid. It is solid and quiet. You can run this one on 220V or 110V. I have the bed extension on mine and turned some 45" spindle legs with it with no problems. The bed extension can be turned out of the way with the hinge for it. Any of the lathe listed above you won't go wrong with. If all you think you will do is spindle work then I myself would shy away from the 3520B or Oneway because of the price. Thats just me.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-19-2009, 2:25 AM
Just because there are more people driving a Chevy, doesn't make it better than a Caddy.

Bill Blasic
03-19-2009, 8:09 AM
Our club has the Oneway 1224 which I have used. It is a nice lathe for a midi type lathe (more than one 12" lathe out there now). I will state this that there is no way that I would take the 1224 over the 3520b. If your even considering a 12" lathe for spindles I would look at the Jet 1220 VS 3/4 HP or the new Delta Midi that is coming out that has 1 HP w/VS. Get an extension lathe bed and you will still be way under a grand with the Jet. Do not know the price of the Delta yet. I have the 3520b, the DVR300, and the Jet 1220 VS. These (including the Oneway) are all nice lathes and I do not believe that you would be unhappy with any of them. Just one word of warning - turning is so addictive that I do not believe that you will just do spindles!!!

Hilel Salomon
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I would normally say that the PM 3520B would be a good choice. The larger oneways may indeed be better but I don't think that the price differential warrants the added expense. Remember, the tools you buy to turn will add considerably to your outlay.
Having said that, I would jump on the Nova DVR at their sale price. I have both the PM and the DVR in SC and VA respectively, and at the price for the DVR, you could add an extension w/the swingaway setup.
Good Luck, Hilel.

Reed Gray
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I find the variable speed to be an option that I don't want to be without. For turning spindles only, not really a necessity. I believe all 3 lathes you mentioned have it. The horse power would be the determining factor for me. The Oneway las the least. As far as over all quality, all are pretty good. I have done a few demos on the small Oneway, and for turning bowls, on the low speed range, it was woefully under powered. I was stalling it out with a 6 inch diameter bowl and a 3/4 inch scraper (green wood of course), and that was with gentle pressure. My Jet 1220 VS has more torque. I prefer a sliding headstock to a pivoting one, just more versatile for me, and also what I have the most experience with.
robo hippy

curtis rosche
03-19-2009, 5:13 PM
:D:D:p:)my lathe is 36 inches, you can have that if you get me the new lathe instead

Larry Marley
03-20-2009, 2:33 AM
if you have a lathe, you will turn bowls. It is something that we have no control over! The vortex is strong and very addictive!
Jeff

Thats it!

I am a victim! I just wanted to make a finial for the top of a clock, 14 years ago.

HA! It's not my fault!
I had no choice but to buy a 3520b for my SECOND lathe...

Man, that is a load off my shoulders.

I call my garage "the shop." I don't call it a studio, so I think I have it under control now...

Jim Kountz
03-20-2009, 3:24 AM
I have the Jet1642 and would recommend it in a minute. The Oneway is simply overpriced for what you get. Its simply not that much better. The larger Oneways are in a league all their own but this one you mentioned is a pup, small capacity and huge price tag. Get the Jet you wont regret it.

Robert LaPlaca
03-20-2009, 6:30 AM
Thanks all for your input..

I think what I have gleened from the responses is the Oneway 1224 might not be the best lathe for $2800 and a tad underpowered. The Jet 1642evs-2 and Nova DVR XP are real contenders for $2199 and $1920. The Pm 3520B is a cannot miss for $3400. Going to have to take a look at the machines at Woodcraft..

Jeff Nicol
03-20-2009, 8:59 AM
Just because there are more people driving a Chevy, doesn't make it better than a Caddy.
Leo, Like I said before the oneway 1224 is way underpowered for what you pay for. It has some nice things but the goofy arm for the on/off and speed control is a pain in the butt! I believe if the old ford will get you to the lumber mill and back you really do not need the "ESCALADE" It would be silly to drive a $50,000 truck through the woods just because you can. Beauty is only skin deep!

I will put the PM 3520 up against the oneway 1640 ( $4300) any day and would have more acessories to go with it for the price. A $1000 dollar box of tools and chucks is what you could get! The 1224 ($2400) is not even in the same league as the 3520 so no comparision.

Just my take on the whole thing, money can't buy you happiness.

Jeff

Kaptan J.W. Meek
03-20-2009, 10:08 AM

Leo, I have a LOT of respect for you, but the above statement just touched a nerve. You couldn't run fast enough to GIVE me a caddy. Mostly cause I'm a Ford man.. So, you couldn't run fast enough to give me a chevy either!! Maybe Lincoln is more my style. Of course this has nothing to do with this thread.. I'm just kidding.

As far as the lathe goes, Money not the concern: I'm going with the PM 3520. My 12" Oliver is going to do right now, but as soon as I retire, and have the $$ MUSTARD IS IN MY FUTURE. It's just so much more lathe for the money... If you can't wait: The Jet gives you close to the same features.. for less $$.. and I have to agree with Jeff.. If you've got a lathe, you'll turn bowls. The right piece of wood falls in your lap, You'll slap it on that chuck and start lookin' for a hollowing rig.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-20-2009, 3:55 PM
JW you know what the meaning was behind the Chevy versus Caddy statement.
As I am a Ford man as well, I realize not everyone does drive a Ford, TOO bad ;-))
The PM being a Jet on steroids is just about right IMO, right up there with the Chinese cast iron and quality, and I do know about that.
As for wanting to turn bowls, yes I can see that, that's why I put the Larger Oneway lathe in there, and yes that would be a Lincoln over a Chevy still, my opinion on it and my advice, is if money is not a concern, go with the large Oneway, made right here in N America, and we all know that the quality and service is second to none, have fun and take care.

Robert LaPlaca
06-05-2009, 8:44 PM
I would like to purchase a lathe that I can use to turn the bottom of cabriolet legs and small spindle work. I enjoy building 18th century furniture and don't believe that any large bowls are in my future..I can see myself needing at least 36 inches between centers for legs.

If you had your choice of a Jet 1642EVS, Nova DVR XP + extension or a Oneway 1224 + bed extension, which lathe would you pick? Is there something else you would pick and why?

I understand that it is customary to post a picture of the new lathe, we wound up purchasing a PM 3520B from the Toolnut... Seems like a nicely built machine

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. You are going to like it.

Ron Crosby
06-06-2009, 2:11 AM
I understand that it is customary to post a picture of the new lathe, we wound up purchasing a PM 3520B from the Toolnut... Seems like a nicely built machine

Nicely built? :D
It's made in China, be careful of the lead in the paint.

Mike Meredith
06-16-2009, 5:43 PM
For the dollars you'll put in it, the Jet 1642 is a great lathe!

curtis rosche
06-16-2009, 6:03 PM
i would say get an old walkerturner lathe or an old delta. or get an old pattern makers lathe. then you will have a carrige to use to make ffancy spirals and copies

Sherwood Smith
08-08-2011, 9:39 AM
I second the Jet 1642.

Bill Bolen
08-08-2011, 12:52 PM
:o I was half way through this thread before realizing it was 2 years old..but a belated congrats to Robert on the "new" PM

Paulo Marin
08-08-2011, 2:24 PM
I have owned all of the lathes discussed here and I can say that I agree with Jeff Nicol 100%. The 1224 is underpowered (although it looks great), and as he says, eventually you are going to kick yourself and say.. why didn't I buy the big boy? I've been enticed lately by the Serious and I must say that the PM3520B Black is exquisite...

Oh honey... I gotta a question for you... Take a look at this black machine... isn't it nice??? I remembered you did not like the yellow one right?? this one is "jet black" and much nicer right? Besides, Jeff Nicol says its a good lathe...:D:D:D

Sherwood Smith
08-08-2011, 3:35 PM
I do that a lot also, gotta be more careful with the dates.