PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and latest piece

steve mcconnell
03-18-2009, 2:55 PM
I have been lurking here on this forum for about a year and a half, and have a learned a great deal. The willingness to share information and friendly but still useful critiques is fantastic.

I have been turning for about 2 and a half years (when I have the chance, after the kids are asleep), and have supplied the last 3 years of holiday presents. I have a Nova 1624-44 lathe along with a number of other tools in my basement shop. I feel I generally have more tools than talent, but am working to rectify that.

I started out with pens, stoppers, other small ornaments and such, and have made a number of bowls. I have taken 1 class (pen turning) which is how I convinced my lovely and talented wife to get the lathe, but other than that mostly self taught (again, with varying degrees of success) I have recently tried my hand at hollowforms (walnut vase - still in progress), as well as segmented work (PBR beer can coozie made out of a 2x4; my low-end friend almost cried with joy when I tossed it to him). My wife has an order in for a large segmented salad bowl, but I have not worked up the courage to try that one yet.

This is a piece I recently donated to the local high school rugby club for an auction. It is bubinga, about 7.75" x 2" x .25" . Finished with 3 coats of Antique Oil and buffed.

For whatever reason, I seem to like making this shape. Let me know what you think.

alex carey
03-18-2009, 3:48 PM
Nice to have you post and nice piece. Hope to see you here more often.

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2009, 4:54 PM
Steve - Welcome to posting on the Creek! Makes a huge difference in speed of learning when you participate! If you've been checking in - then you already know there are lots of great folks here willing to help!

Good looking bowl! Very nice finish - real pretty wood! Hope it did well at the auction!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Burt Alcantara
03-18-2009, 5:06 PM
Mighty fine looking bowl. I really like that form.

Burt

Bill Bolen
03-18-2009, 6:19 PM
Welcome to the creek and a mighty nice piece for your first pic! Hope to see lots more. You know we all love pic's...Bill..

Jarrod McGehee
03-18-2009, 6:40 PM
Welcome to the creek and I'm still new to the whole turning aspect and these guys on here sure are willing to lend a hand. Nice piece and keep em coming.

Jeff Nicol
03-18-2009, 6:55 PM
Steve, I like the shape of your bowl also, the simple ones are most always the ones that appeal to the eye! Great finish and keep at it and show us the great segmented piece that you bride has requested when it gets done.

Jeff

Pete Jordan
03-18-2009, 7:01 PM
Welcome Steve,

I really like the shape also.

David Christopher
03-18-2009, 7:01 PM
Steve, very nice bowl...like the shape and color

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. Great looking bowl and wood. Finish looks great.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Steve...Welcome to participating! Nice bowl....the form is fluid....the wood and finish are gorgeous! Nicely done sir!

Alan Trout
03-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Steve welcome and a very nice bowl. Keep up the good work.

Alan

Kirk Miller
03-19-2009, 1:21 AM
Steve
Very nice job on the bowl. I really like the form. What a worthy cause too. As a Retired Rugger I appreciate seing support of youth rugby. Keep up the good work

Kirk