PDA

View Full Version : "Green" aluminum foil

Mitchell Andrus
03-18-2009, 2:31 PM
Without naming a brand, Reynold's Wrap, oops...

50 sf roll:

Green, recycled aluminum foil ... $9.96/100 sf.
Non-green, planet destroying aluminum foil ... $9.21/100 sf.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I say!

Wanna bet it all comes out of the same vat?

Dave Verstraete
03-18-2009, 4:27 PM
Mitch
You're a day late with the "Green" word.:D and no... I wouldn't bet!

Chris Padilla
03-18-2009, 4:43 PM
It takes a little more work to clean up the "dirty" aluminum before they can use it again but those prices are so close, I'd pony up to buy the green stuff.

Jason Beam
03-18-2009, 4:53 PM
I'd be surprised if any of it was straight from ore... aluminum is nearly 100% recyclable and takes a fraction of the energy than mining the ore does.

Mitchell Andrus
03-18-2009, 5:06 PM
It takes a little more work to clean up the "dirty" aluminum before they can use it again but those prices are so close, I'd pony up to buy the green stuff.

Maybe the green paint on the box is expensive.

Chris Padilla
03-18-2009, 5:09 PM
Are there any "standards" or "accreditation" before someone can label their products as being "green"?

Jason Beam
03-18-2009, 5:38 PM
I don't know about products, but builders have the LEEDS standard if they want to be certified for greenness. I don't know of any for products, myself. I think that much of marketing is held together by the legal bounds about as solid as "If you can prove it in a lab...you can claim it."

Tim Morton
03-18-2009, 6:41 PM
http://www.greenluvin.com/2008/02/aluminum-foil-reynolds-vs-recycled.html

Gene Howe
03-18-2009, 8:24 PM
Thanks for posting that link and tid-bit. I won't be buying any "Green" aluminum clamps or straight edges now.:rolleyes:
If what the article says about the quality lacking in recycled aluminum, I sure hope the "Green" hysteria doesn't take hold in the carbide blade industry!:eek:

Jamie Delker
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Wierd. I just bought a roll of that particular recycled aluminium foil as it was almost a dollar cheaper for 50 sq. ft. of it than the same size of the store's brand (I don't remember it being on sale).
But now that I think about it, that was probably just the box and paper roll, they're both smaller.