PDA

View Full Version : Learning the lathe in your 70’s advice needed.

James Jaragosky
03-18-2009, 1:25 PM
I know an elderly wood worker from church; He is in his late 60’s to early 70’s
Currently he builds furniture as a hobby, and from what I have seen he is good at what he does.
He seems to be in good health for his age.
He has told me that he was thinking of learning to use a lathe so he could turn his own legs.
He asked me to keep an eye out for a good lathe at a reasonable price.
Today I have found such a lathe. But my concern is should I pass along this information to him.
I am worried that at his age learning to run a lathe on his own is not a good idea.
If he had prior experience with a lathe I would not hesitate to pass along a good deal.
Another reason for my concern is that we had just had another elderly wood worker nearly sever a finger length wise this past Saturday; while operating his table saw.
I know that he is an adult and that he is responsible for his own actions and decisions; but I would feel responsible if he injured himself on a lathe that I helped him to get.
Anyway my question is should I pass along the information and my concerns.
Or should I just keep the deal to myself and hope that his interest passes.
I am not a turner and have zero lathe experience: and maybe my fears are unfounded. So I am asking for advice from you experienced turners.
Thanks Jim J.

Philip Morris
03-18-2009, 1:43 PM
Jim,
You are right there is a learning curve with any new tool and like the expression goes, old dogs....

Turning table legs is generally safer than turning large unbalanced blocks of wood to make bowls.

Something you may consider is suggesting your friend visit a local woodturning club meeting. Most clubs welcome visitors and willingly share information and oftentimes instruction. The American Association of Woodturners' website lists local clubs by states. Their link is:

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Maybe ease your conscience with the fact that since you are not a turner, you may not be the best person to chose a lathe for him anyway.

Denis Puland
03-18-2009, 1:50 PM
Tell the gentleman????????? I started turning at sixty five and I would be very put out if some friend of mine with held info I needed to further my interests. You say he uses a table saw which has sent many more people to the emergency ward then lathes.

As his friend help him enjoy his wood working.

Denis

Bill O'Conner
03-18-2009, 2:03 PM
My Grandfather turn up in to his late 80's till he wasn't able to sand at the lathe anymore, but he also been turning for as long as I can remember

Bill

Travis R. Nelson
03-18-2009, 2:04 PM
I aggree with Philip completely. That being said, any and every tool / machine is only as safe as its operator. You aren't his "operator" but you are his friend. Just be his friend and get him steered to a local woodturning club that can teach him properly and help him purchase a lathe that truely meets his needs and is of decent quality. Maybe you could even go along so he wouldn't have to go see a group of strangers alone. The information at those meetings is great, and I bet you could even gleen some helpful tips and tricks. Just be careful, the woodturning vortex has rendered most of my flatwork tools useless, with the exception of those that can cut blanks or segments....

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2009, 2:05 PM
I agree with Denis. I got a gentleman into woodturning at the age of 72. He is having a ball. He has borrowed almost all my DVD's and video's. After a year you should see some of his birdhouses.

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2009, 2:13 PM
We have a few guys in our turning club that are in their 70s, some of them just starting out. I highly promote getting into turning because it is so different and opens up your imagination with all the new things you can do with wood! Put him in touch with his local turning club and he will have a ball learning how to turn and making friends at the same time!

steven carter
03-18-2009, 3:35 PM
If he is in his 70's and has been a woodworker, he must know something about safety. Anyone of advanced years who is eager to learn will probably be able to handle things just fine -- he is probably a lot more careful than some of the young guys I've seen.
Steve

Bernie Vail
03-18-2009, 4:11 PM
For what its worth, I am just about to celebrate my 67th, and I just started turning last year. Don't let the age get in your way - as long as someone can stand up they can turn. :) Or even sitting down if they can afford the Oneway. :)

Bernie

Wally Dickerman
03-18-2009, 4:51 PM
Late 60's to early 70's? Sheesh....I'm 88. Until last year I taught turning classes at 2 different places. I've now reduced that to teaching only in my shop, one on one. Last Saturday I did our club demo. I'm in my shop most every day.

I realize that what I do is a bit unusual for someone my age. However, I live in a retirement community and we have a community woodshop with about 400 members. Late 60's to early 70's is a fairly young person in that shop.

Wally

Joe Hardesty
03-18-2009, 5:05 PM
I guess once you hit 70, the only job you are good for is being President of the United States.

James Jaragosky
03-18-2009, 5:18 PM
It would seem that the general consensus is, age does not matter.
I know that there are many people in the 60 to 80 age group that are currently turning regularly.
I meant no disrespect.
I will still recommend some kind of formal training.
Thanks for your opinions.
Jim J.

Bob Bergstrom
03-18-2009, 5:19 PM
I'm in my sixties and worry a lot more about falling off a ladder and car accidents than working in my shop. The wood lathe is probably one of the more safe tools I have.

Ken Garlock
03-18-2009, 6:28 PM
Some of you guys done pi**ed me off. I am 68 going on 69 and I am learning to use lathe on my own by viewing the Bill Grumbine DVDs, and a couple sessions by Dick Sing on the now defunct Woodworking At Home DVD-magazine. Yes, I have a full face shield, and a turners jacket like David Marks uses.

If the man is sharp enough to make furniture, he at least knows what end of the hand saw to pickup. A lathe is no big deal, not nearly as dangerous as a band saw or a cabinet saw.

I have a POS Palmgren lathe and set of 8 Sorby chisels. Man can I make chips. Yes I get some pretty mean hang ups, but if you hanging on to your tools as you should, the only damage is to the wood. I am learning to use the skew just because many people say it is so hard to master. I am still having problems with the V grooves and my beading needs a lot of work. It surely does make nice smooth surface. So far, I have only been using some scrap hard maple and a couple chunks of cherry and walnut.

Some day I will actually try to make something.

Man that Nova DVR XP at Woodcraft surely does look tempting.

So give the man the info on the lathe before I have to come out there and whump you up along side the head.;);):D:D

Oh yes, I take my first turning class at Woodcraft in April....

Jeff Nicol
03-18-2009, 7:05 PM
My dad is 71 and he started using a metal lathe when he was 63 and now has two metal lathes and a mill that he makes things on for me. He just bought a 1 3/4 acre lot and is building his dream house and workshop! So if you are young at heart and stay active you won't get old and set in a chair all day long. My grandfather lived to 93 so I guess my dad has at least 20 more years of puttering in his new shop ahead of him!

Tell him about the lathe and maybe you can learn how also!

Jeff

Burt Alcantara
03-18-2009, 7:30 PM
You go Wally!

Burt - 67

Dick Sowa
03-18-2009, 8:01 PM
Y'all need to watch some of the videos with Sam Maloof. He's like 90 something and still working wood with power tools. There is no age limit on learning. In fact, older folks (like myself), tend to be more conservative and careful in our use of power tools.

Thomas Minehan
03-18-2009, 8:28 PM
Will someone explain what age has to do with learning to turn?

Barry Elder
03-19-2009, 4:43 AM
Being a Florida cracker, I have watched many people retire and move here to find out playing golf is fun, fishing is fun, walking on the beach is fun, going on cruises is fun, sitting in a rocking chair is fun, and then they died. RIP. Working with wood, and especially woodturning is fun, creative, and fulfilling! Stimulates the system, makes you feel 30 years younger, 30 IQ points smarter, lowers blood pressure, blood sugar, etc!

Mike Null
03-19-2009, 6:41 AM
I'm not a bit PO'd. You should just take all us guys who are 70 or older and bury us.

What are you thinking?

robert hainstock
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I have been a woodworker all my life, and still enjoy turning. I did sell my Jet 12" table saw three years ago, because I still have, and realy need all my fingers to play my saxophone. It is funny, every day I read that guys younger than me sicked it. I can't turn every day any more, (stamina) but I still can turn something once in a while. It is relative, and you need not feel guilt about decideing his fate. He's an adult. I bought a new Jet 1220VS last oct. and realy enjoy it. I'm 74. :)
Bob

Benjamin Dahl
03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
wow, I don't think Jim was trying to insult anyone. he said he is not a turner. He seems to be scared about advising a friend to buy a tool he does not know so he asked us. the idea of a piece of wood spinning at a few thousand RPM should make one think about safety, IMHO.
in any case, I hope your friend enjoys himself.
Ben

James Jaragosky
03-19-2009, 2:08 PM
wow, I don't think Jim was trying to insult anyone. he said he is not a turner. He seems to be scared about advising a friend to buy a tool he does not know so he asked us. the idea of a piece of wood spinning at a few thousand RPM should make one think about safety, IMHO.
in any case, I hope your friend enjoys himself.
Ben

Ben is correct. It was not my intent to offend anyone; or to imply that there is an age limit to any form of activity, turning included.
To those of you turning in your 60,70,80’s and beyond; How fortunate that you have been blessed with the ability to do something that you enjoy so much.
I have passed along the lead on the delta lathe to my friend, along with a recommendation to find some training. And I will pray for his safety.
I would like to thank everyone for their response and constructive input to my dilemma.
Jim J.

alex carey
03-19-2009, 3:17 PM
You did the right thing. If he wanted to get into turning with or without you he was probably going to do it. The best thing to do is get a little help from someone at a club. Just the basic safety rules and operations of a lathe. Maybe even checking over the used lathe would be a good idea. You never if something could be wrong with it.

Garth Hulley
03-21-2009, 7:31 PM
The term “elderly” is often a misused word. It has more to do with a state of mind rather than a chronological number. I know people in their sixties who are elderly because they have retired and have nothing planned for the future.

Last fall, my uncle called me to help move some tools he purchased to upgrade his shop because I have truck. One of the tools was a full size drill press. He grabbed one end of this two hundred pound tool with the agility and strength of one half his age. At age eighty-seven he is not one I would consider elderly because of his outlook on life. He bought these tools for his future projects.

Remember, you are only old if you think you are.

Wally Wenzel
03-21-2009, 9:06 PM
I am only 80 now but i turn and learn nearly every day. Wally

Peter Lamb
03-22-2009, 9:10 AM
If I couldn't turn almost every day I would probably lose what is left of my mind. What would my sweetie do with me on the couch in front of the TV every day? There is a FUTURE for all of you at the lathe to look forward to!!
Peter :)

neil mackay
03-22-2009, 9:13 AM
Well I dont think age is a barrier especially if he is still doing flat work really well. We have a guy down under who is 90+ and he turns and another who took it up at 86.

John McCaskill
03-22-2009, 7:44 PM
I don't really want to be rude, but who are you to judge what the man can or can't do? If he's a friend, tell him about the lathe. If he's not, why are you asking at all?

John