PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Internet

steve swantee
03-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Don't know much about this, but just wondering how useful the internet on blackberry phones is. Besides e-mail, etc., could you use it to browse the Sawmill Creek Forum for example? Or is something like this beyond it's web browsing capability?

Thanks, Steve

Lee Schierer
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I've had a Palm Treo and now a Motorola Q that have worked just fine for browsing the internet. Some web sites don't translate well on the abreviated version of software being run on hand helds. SMC worked okay, but the format was different than what you see on a regular PC.

Jacob Mac
03-18-2009, 1:35 PM
I browse this forum on my blackberry frequently. It works fine for me.

Scott Shepherd
03-18-2009, 1:41 PM
Some forums require cookies and some phones don't allow cookies. So you can read the forums, but can't log in and post or check messages. Might want to check and see if the blackberry will allow that.

Otherwise, internet over 3G is very good these days.

Jim Tobias
03-18-2009, 1:51 PM
I do browse this forum on my Blackberry storm on occasion. I would have to say that while it can be done, browsing any forum such as this on a small screen (and the storm screen is not small for a smart phone) is not anything like sitting at a PC. Just too much scrolling, etc.

Jim

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2009, 3:23 PM
Maybe I'm just old, but when I upgraded my phone decided to stick to a non-BB unit. I just can't see typing on that tiny keyboard. I can still read e-mail and get news, sports, etc from the internet on it, but I doubt I'd ever have the need to send an e-mail that badly that it couldn't wait (or I could call).

If I spent more time away I'd probably buy one of those little 2 lb 8.9" screen laptops for $300 and just stop at a hot spot coffee house once in a while.

Jim Becker
03-18-2009, 4:09 PM
I'm on my second smartphone and yes, you can browse Internet sites with little issue. My current device, an iPhone, is MUCH more functional than my previous, a Nokia E62...much better browser technology and the zoom feature means you can actually read things on sites that don't have mobile versions.

Note that these things are fine for incidental browsing, but not fun on the eyes for heavy use. Alse be aware that some data plans have caps, so be sure you understand the ramifications to your monthly cost if you don't have an unlimited plan.

Burt Alcantara
03-18-2009, 5:36 PM
I can barely read the phone numbers on my phone. Browsing? No way. Got me a big 22" monitor spec'd for my eyeballs.

Burt

Paul Ryan
03-18-2009, 6:39 PM
I concur with Jim, I can be done but not something you want to do consistantly. I use the internet on my BB alot but not for brosing forums. I use it for work. All of my instructions and the information i need for inspections are located on a web site. So while traveling I will get an e-mail requesting a inspection in such and such of a city. I then pull up the web site and go from there. I used it today to got to SS web site and get their phone number. Most BB you can configure to read most web site. But it is slow even in 3G areas almost like dial up, but it get the job done. Save the forum use for home or real computers.

Eric Roberge
03-18-2009, 9:01 PM
Blackberry Curve here. No problems, I use it all the time and yes I surf SMC on it w/o any problems.
E-

David Weiser
03-19-2009, 1:45 AM
Blackberry storm here. I browse SMC on there no problem. Unlimited everything for the win. It's a nice feeling not having to worry if your going to go over your data or messages.