PDA

View Full Version : LV & LN new products.

Eric Brown
03-18-2009, 7:26 AM
Ok, last Thanksgiving LV introduced their Premium Block plane. I got one and it's great. They promised more soon. What have they brought out since in the Premium line? Kneepads! At this rate it may take another 30 years or so for them to make what I want. (You know, the basic stuff like shoulder, skewed rabbet, router, etc. in the Nickle Iron).

LN isn't much better. On this forum it has been said that they will be bringing out a Chamfer plane, handsaws and a few other things. Where are they?

Maybe its spring fever, but I have a tax refund check to spend on tools (I've been a good boy). The slippery slope needs some attention.

Anybody else feel this way?

Eric

David Keller NC
03-18-2009, 9:49 AM
Not sure about Lee Valley, but I suspect Lie-Nielsen is being careful about having all of the kinks worked out in the manufacturing process and ensuring that they can make enough to meet demand before introduction. I talked to one of the staff briefly last year a couple of months after they'd introduced the inlay tools, and he noted that the factory was having a very hard time keeping up, and that they didn't feel good about having large backlogs. Perhaps that has a bit to do with the slower introduction of the newer tools that have been in development.

Rick Erickson
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I also chatted with someone at LN. They are going to be releasing a plow plane soon. I don't know the date but I'm holding out for it. And hey, they just released a few new hammers :).

Sean Hughto
03-18-2009, 11:08 AM
LN has two tongue and groove planes due very soon (like Stanley 48 and 49). In fact, the 48 is up on the site.

I'm glad to hear about the plough. What sort of design? Like the Records? Like a Stanley 248A (my personal go to right now for groovin)? Something all new?

John Gornall
03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Rob at Lee Valley mentioned a new tail vise awhile back - I'm collecting lumber for a new bench top and would like to know if it's coming. Sometimes I wish he wouldn't tease.

Rick Erickson
03-18-2009, 2:10 PM
Unfortunately I didn't ask about the plow design. As with all LN tools I'm sure I will be satisfied with it. I've heard great things about the LV plow but I'm partial to LN so I'm waiting.

Jim Koepke
03-18-2009, 2:15 PM
It is surprising that manufactures can not target release dates for their wares when people will have money burning holes in their pockets. Think about Christmas and tax season.

That said, as we await new tools, what ever happened to the Stanley Premium tools we were supposed to see last month?

jim

David Keller NC
03-18-2009, 3:27 PM
"That said, as we await new tools, what ever happened to the Stanley Premium tools we were supposed to see last month?"

I kind of wonder if there's some legal issues there - they look nearly identical to Lee Valley's (patented) designs. Personally, I hope so - the modern Stanley company deserves little respect, IMO - they've been spending years and years cheapening up everything they can when it comes to hand tools, to the point where most of the offerings are just plain unworkable junk.

Sean Hughto
03-18-2009, 3:30 PM
Personally, I hope so - the modern Stanley company deserves little respect, IMO - they've been spending years and years cheapening up everything they can when it comes to hand tools, to the point where most of the offerings are just plain unworkable junk.

Amen to that.

Jeff Considine
03-18-2009, 3:58 PM
not an expert here, but it's possible that in addition to the other things already mentioned the economy is causing them both to re-think a new product intro.

I would think gaining acceptance of a new tool, possibly at a new price point, would be helped a bunch if a lot of people bought them and started saying good things about them right out of the box. This may be more true for more widely mass-marketed products, but these guys might have to consider this as well.

I know I'm not a buyer right now, maybe lots of others in that boat.

just my $.02

Dave Spaeder
03-18-2009, 6:28 PM
It seems to me we're lucky that either one ever puts out a new tool. They've both raised the quality and reputation bars so high, the pressure to make each new tool measure up must be enormous. I wonder how they ever determine that a tool is "ready" under those circumstances.