PDA

View Full Version : help with edge lit signs

colin booth
03-18-2009, 7:04 AM
hi
can anyone help?
im trying to find a supplier here in the uk for an extrusion to make edge lit signs, tried several aluminium extrusion companies but none seem to have an extrusion that will house the led's and also take the 6mm perspex.so at present im really stuck if anyone has any info it would be very welcome .
thanks col (laserhut)

Scott Challoner
03-18-2009, 9:33 AM
Good luck Colin. I was on the same quest a few months back but gave up. I was trying to find something like this photo, but I wonder if it's a custom thing.

Bill Cunningham
03-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Try a sailing or rigging shop, It's too small for a mast, but it sure looks like it might be a boom extrusion..

Joe Pelonio
03-19-2009, 11:13 PM
I just got a new small "specials" catalog from JDS that has a weighted plastic base with leds and even batteries included for $4.25. Sorry but I have no idea if they ship to the UK or not.

Rodne Gold
03-20-2009, 1:25 AM
Make your own , use a supawood base and clad the sides with aluminium, even cheaper than "real" ally is the formICA (COUNTERTOP STUFF) mettalic.

Rowan Hay
03-20-2009, 6:18 AM
Hi Colin,
yes there is an extrusion, that I have been putting LED ribbon in the bottom of. The extrusion takes thickness sizes 6mm - 10mm and comes in any length up to 5m long. I have just finished patenting it and we have had great success with it. As it is late at night here Down Under ( New Zealand ) i will post some pics tomorrow and answer any questions you may have.

Dan Hintz
03-20-2009, 9:31 AM
I have just finished patenting it...
Uhm, what exactly did you patent about it?

Rowan Hay
03-20-2009, 2:50 PM
The patent basically covers the way in which glass, perpex etc is held using a clamp method. The u shape piece inside slides across and clamps the material being used. If you want to change the material , you just undo it , replace the material and clamp it up again. Simple but very strong.