PDA

View Full Version : Tool Belts, what are you using...

John Weber
07-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Not exactly woodworking, but my old tool belt is about worn out. It's a decent Craftsman, leather, double side pockets, hammer hanger, etc... I've looked at some new belts, but don't really don't what to get. Many are nylon and have velcro movable pockets, or full grain leather (very stiff when new). Some incorporate back support, etc... So what do you guys use? I almost never wear one woodworking, but often do for home projects, especially ladder work, roof, and other hands free type of jobs. Any pics or links are always helpful.

John

Brian Riley
07-20-2004, 7:48 AM
Hey John....

A couple years back my older Craftsman tool belt basically bit the dust so I was also in the market for a new belt. I ended up getting the Custom Leathercraft 5605 Black 18-Pocket, 5-Piece Professional Carpenter's Combo. That was back in Feb. of 2002 and it has held up extremely well for all the stuff I've put it through. However I'm sure they have come up with newer models since then. It is made of nylon, has a wider back section on the belt for better support and the belt catch is both velcro and standard buckle. It certainly has enough pockets so I can carry a mini "toolbox" with me.

Jason Roehl
07-20-2004, 8:05 AM
John, I wear the full rig: nylon belt with back support and suspenders. I really like having the suspenders on the tool belt. Before I added that little feature, I hated wearing a tool belt because my back or hips would always end up complaining in very short order. Now I can wear a belt all day with little to no discomfort. I think it's the AWP brand from Lowe's. It also seems to be much more durable than any leather belt I've had in the past (but I've never had a full-grain leather belt, either).

Jim Becker
07-20-2004, 8:27 AM
If I were to have to wear one, I think I'd choose something like Jason describes. There are a lot of options from retailers such as Duluth Trading. My current "thing" is a leather unit on a web belt that is a pain to keep from twisting...but it was free from when I spent a couple years in the insulation contracting business back in the 1980s. I rarely use it.

Brian Riley
07-20-2004, 8:35 AM
I agree with Jason on the suspenders. I have a set of the "add-on" ones when I know it's going to be a long day. They definitely help.

Dan Mages
07-20-2004, 8:58 AM
I have been looking at this belt set up by Bucket Boss. It looks like a nicely designed and comfortable rig. Amazon is selling them for $40.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006K00U.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

JayStPeter
07-20-2004, 9:05 AM
I just had to do the same thing. The duct tape and zip ties weren't holding up.
I bought a belt with nylon pockets and a metal hammer loop. The only velcro is a temporary support until you actually buckle the thing up. Got it at the borg. I liked it because it was similar in design to my old one which I was used to. I looked at the big suspended ones, but wasn't up for spending that much money for something I now use so little.

Jay

Ed Hardin
07-20-2004, 9:52 AM
I wear the vest sold by Deluth Trading. Best thing I ever did, puts the weight on my shoulders and does not interfere with bending.

Frank Pellow
07-20-2004, 10:24 AM
I prefer a smaller belt than the ones that have been shown so far. I have a larger belt as well, but the one that I gravitate towards 98% of the time has a single pouch and I position it on my hip. I am attaching a picture taken a few minutes ago with the belt as configured for roofing (which is what I was doing before I escaped for a few minutes for a coffee in my cool house).

John Weber
07-22-2004, 12:25 AM
Ok, guys after running around town I found this deal on a Makita drill and belt. I've been kinda needing a smaller new drill, and Lowes had the combo on sale for $109. The belt is as good as most any I've seen at Sears or the box stores. I know there are some high end companies out there, but I didn't really need to spend $150+ for a belt alone. This kills two birds with one stone. The belt is a bit more stout then my previous belt, but after using it today, I'm very happy with the change. Moving from two front pockets to side pockets, and moving the hammer from the side to rear, really makes sense, and I'm sure I'll get lots of use. My old belt will still be available for a few jobs. Just in case. Thanks for all your imput.

John

http://www.makita.com/res_cordless/images/12_volt_cordless/6217d_l.jpg

http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/19/49/61_1_b.JPG