PDA

View Full Version : Chainsawing horse

Jarrod McGehee
03-18-2009, 1:04 AM
Ok so I built this horse because I had a pretty big eucalyptus log to cut and I needed something solid to hold it and I saw some plans on woodturningonline.com and I decided to build one similar. I scraped up some lumber around my house and this is what I ended up with. My shop teacher said that it would hold an English saddle no problem haha. but it sure worked for me and I like it. so here's some pics.

Jarrod McGehee
03-18-2009, 1:07 AM
and one more pic

and the last 2 is the work I got done today ;)

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
That's quite the design you've got there! Looks like it works real good! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of that wood! It's gonna be pretty!

Burt Alcantara
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Hope you have a good back. Getting big pieces up that high is no piece of cake. I try to wedge a couple of 4x4 under a log but will just cut into the ground if they are too heavy for even that.

Good Luck!
Burt

Jarrod McGehee
03-18-2009, 1:17 PM
well Burt I guess I'm lucky since I'm still a young whippersnapper and pretty healthy. But it's solid when I get it up there. and that big log I cut was around 100 lbs.

alex carey
03-18-2009, 1:33 PM
I too am a young whipper snapper but if your like me sooner or later the pieces will get way too heavy too lift them that high(Above 250#) I use a 12 inch stump that I can roll it onto. If the piece i'm cutting is round then I just put some wedges under it.

Your horse will work well for smaller pieces but if your peices get too big it's gonna get more and more tough.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2009, 2:11 PM
When you get my age you will wonder how to get that 100 lb or bigger log up there. I bought a engine hoist at a garage sale. End of problem. That is a good looking stand.

Jeff Nicol
03-18-2009, 7:15 PM
Jarrod, Looks good to me! I made one a bit smaller and I think I will make one like that now too! I have a big crotch of some tree that I have been using and it is doing the job so I may just keep that. Sure is some nice wood..........soon some will be in my grubby little mitts!

Jeff

Jarrod McGehee
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
oh and yes some will Jeff. The one half of that big log weighs 45.5lbs. a wee bit heavy but it looked alright when I cut it. I'll get it packaged up soon.

Steve Trauthwein
03-19-2009, 6:59 AM
Save your backs guys! No matter how young you are when you are lifting weight that high all it takes is a slight twist and your back will be set for life.

Get a couple of eight foot 2x4's and knock them together with some cross members eighteen to twenty four inches wide, put a small shelf at the height of your table. Anything you can roll up on the platform can easily be leveraged onto your table. I have one in my truck that is at the height of my tail gate for easy loading of found lumber.

Steve

Reed Gray
03-19-2009, 1:12 PM
I'm too lazy to make a saw horse, I just use a log section that it too far gone to turn, and get a piece up on it, prop it in place with some cut offs, and saw away. Some times I will cut it on the ground first if it is more than I want to lift, but then again, it is difficult to bend over that far some times. Having some stepping stone log sections for steps allowe me to roll or tip up to get it at a comfortable cutting height.
robo hippy