PDA

View Full Version : Crown Stapler

Eric Roberge
03-17-2009, 11:50 PM
I know the basic reasons to buy one. Holds sheet goods better than brads, upholstery applications, etc...
I found a PC 1/2 - 1 1/2 18G narrow crown for about $60. They seem to go for about $100+/- a few bucks. At 50% of new it's a deal, but the question is for those that have them, do you use your NCS frequently? If so, what type of projects was it most helpful?

Thanks
E-

Mike Henderson
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
I don't do a lot of cabinet work, but when I did some for my home, I used a narrow crown stapler to put the drawers together. I found them especially good for attaching the bottoms to the sides. A staple holds better than a nail or brad.

That said, the most powerful NCS is probably the Senco SKS. That stapler will drive a staple through anything. But it has some other issues that I won't go into right now.

Depending on what you're going to do, that PC will probably work well for you and if you get it at a good price, you'll be able to recover your money if you decide to go to a more powerful unit later.

For furniture work, it never gets used.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
03-18-2009, 5:45 AM
Hello,

do you use your NCS frequently? If so, what type of projects was it most helpful?
I use mine all the time on anything where appearance isn't important.
I've even used mine as a "third hand" while hanging drywall. Hanging drywall can be tough at times if you're working up high on the wall & only coming down 4' with it.
I found if I tacked it in place with a brad, it would cock slightly while I drove a screw in. W/staples, the tendancy for the drywall to slip is reduced a lot.

Speaking of drywall. To repair large holes in drywall (like where a doorknob goes through it), I cut about a 6" x 6" square opening in the drywall. Next, I take an 8" x 4" section, glue the ends and work it into the 6 x 6 opening and pull it back towards me. A bead of glue on each end & staples hold it in place as a backer for the 6 x 6 section.

Probably the handiest use I got out of one was using it to secure some carpet to some stair treads. One step had come loose from the tackless strip & it took all of 30 seconds to put it right.

1/4" plywood backs on shelf units.

Titebond II and 1 1/4" staples were used to make the doubled up 3/4" ply top of my flip top cart for the planer & drill press.

I rebuilt all the 1950's era drawers in two rentals with Titebond II and staples. The staples seem to hold better in the 50 year old soft wood than screws.

Plus too many other things/places to list.

Cody Colston
03-18-2009, 6:57 AM
I have a Bostitch NC stapler that I use occassionally for the things you mentioned...cabinet backs and upholstery projects. LOML uses it more than me. She got on a kick of making what she called "dream boards" for holding pictures. It worked well for stapling the fabric and ribbons.

Paul Greathouse
03-18-2009, 8:06 AM
I have a Senco SLS 1/4" crown that I use for cabinet backs and attaching the unseen edges of coil stock bent to cover exterior window trim and corner boards. The J trim for the vinyl siding butts up to the stapled edges and hides the staples. By attaching the metal this way there is no need for ugly face nailing of the metal. A sure sign of an amateur vinyl siding job is when all the metal trim is face nailed with colored nails. The only thing I use the colored nails for is the bottom edge of the Facia where it attaches to the 2X6 band board.

I also have a Senco SKS 7/16" crown equipped with a standoff tip for attaching the vinyl siding. My siding hanging speed really picked up when I switched from hammering to the SKS. I have never had any issues with mine, not sure what Mike was referring to. Both guns work great.

I also used the SKS when building the trusses for my shop. Everywhere on the truss where 2X would meet I would attach a 12"x12" square of 1/2" cdx plywood with construction adhesive and a bunch of 1 1/4" staples. The trusses span 30' and came out really stout with no roof sag.

Jim Becker
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't use mine frequently, but do like it for ply cabinet backs, etc.

Josiah Bartlett
03-18-2009, 2:17 PM
If you don't care about the appearance (and who does with staples?), the Harbor Freight version is a screaming bargain. Mine hasn't had any feeding problems but some people say that they have had problems feeding certain brands of staples.

Mike Henderson
03-18-2009, 2:47 PM
I don't want to imply that the Senco SKS doesn't work - it works fine and is a rugged, reliable unit. My issues are as follows: (best I can remember at this time)

1. The unit does not have any ability to change the depth of drive. To do so, you have to change an internal part, which is kind of a pain.

2. The unit does not detect "out of staples" but keeps on firing blanks. The driver marks the wood so it isn't obvious immediately that you're not firing any staples.

3. This is a smaller issue - you can't rotate the air discharge on the head so sometimes when you're in a tight place you keep getting air burst in your eyes.

4. The documentation that comes with it is miserable. If you never have a problem this doesn't matter but if you need to look something up, good luck.

5. The unit is big and heavy and difficult to get into awkward areas.

6. It's very expensive.

I think it's just an old design that they never updated. Mine is a few years old so maybe some of these issues have been addressed.

Mike

Herbert Wallace
03-18-2009, 7:14 PM
I had the porter cable till it broke after about 3 yrs service. I replaced it with a HF stapler for $12.00 and it came with several boxes of staples. Never failed yet, been 2 years. Mr PC brad nailer is on its last leg, got it at the same time as the stapler. Going to replace it with a HF.

Steve Clardy
03-18-2009, 7:14 PM
PC 18 ga here. Very reliable stapler.
Cabinet back, drawer bottoms, is about all I use it for.

Ken Werner
03-18-2009, 7:52 PM
I attached T&G vertical siding to my entire house. The P-C narrow crown stapler never failed me. I use it often, and wouldn't want to be without it. Great tool, great price. Jump on it.

Ryan Baker
03-18-2009, 8:20 PM
I have the HF narrow crown stapler and it has worked very well for me on certian jobs, though I don't use it very often. When it comes to staples, I usually find my 1/2" crown stapler more useful. My brad gun gets the most love around my shop.

Eric Roberge
03-18-2009, 8:38 PM
My Bostitch brad gets the most use also.

Well, thanks guys! I went ahead and picked it up just because you can never have to many tools. It's in good shape and had several staples with it. I'm going to go try it out in a few minutes and see how she fires. Siding looks good Ken!

I appreciate all the input!;)

E-

Andrew Joiner
03-18-2009, 9:06 PM
I had the porter cable till it broke after about 3 yrs service. I replaced it with a HF stapler for $12.00 and it came with several boxes of staples. Never failed yet, been 2 years. Mr PC brad nailer is on its last leg, got it at the same time as the stapler. Going to replace it with a HF.

Years ago I had a Senco 1/4" crown for cabinet backs and most things that were not "furniture quality". I found in some cases the 1/4" staple shot with the grain and filled was harder to see than the 15 gauge nails.

Wait a minute. What happened to "You get what you pay for"'?
I love HF. Most of the times I get way more than I think I paid for there.
Good for you Herbert. I will check out the $12 HF.