PDA

View Full Version : Crotch Tea light from some Acer negundo

Leo Van Der Loo
03-17-2009, 8:25 PM
Found this piece of crotch while digging in the shavings a little while ago, it comes from the Manitoba Maple that got blown down last August behind my place,and this piece was bagged and got buried and forgotten.

Not a very big piece and nothing really spectacular, still something to work with and so I mounted it and turned a small tenon on it and rounded the outside, turned it over and flattened the top, looking at the wood with all the small checks and lines from the pith plus a few reddish-pink lines, it looked like all that was nice in the wood would be gone if making just another bowl from it.

Scratching my head I thought I should keep all that, so all checks were filled with CA and I found a glass bowl to fit a tea-light candle that might look OK in there, so thats what I did.

Done with the top I remounted it (vacuum) and removed most of the lower part of the previously turned bottom and gave it a foot to sit on, with the outside edge just a hair off of the surface, so this is the outcome :)

It is about 9½" long and a 1¼" high.

All comments welcome :D

John Fricke
03-17-2009, 8:34 PM
Very nice save from the shavings pile Leo!

David Christopher
03-17-2009, 8:36 PM
Leo, that is a very nice piece, I made 4 of those last night ( no finish yet ) but mine dont look as nice as yours

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Great looking piece Leo. I really like that one.

Paul Gallian
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
In Missouri we would call this Box-Elder... The taxonomist in me would just say as you did Acer negundo

Very nice work..

paul

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Nice work Leo! Beautiful piece of wood and well worth the effort to save it!

Jarrod McGehee
03-18-2009, 1:15 AM
Oh that looks nice Leo. Nice work. I like all your work.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-18-2009, 2:51 PM
Very nice save from the shavings pile Leo!

Thanks John, the shavings pile removal is going to be my job for today, it has grown to knee-high over the last little while :o, I was standing at the lathe last night with the spindle at navel hight :eek:

Leo, that is a very nice piece, I made 4 of those last night ( no finish yet ) but mine dont look as nice as yours

Thanks for commenting David, you made 4, I just one, never to be done again by me, I think ;-))

Great looking piece Leo. I really like that one.

Thanks for commenting Bernie, take care :-))

In Missouri we would call this Box-Elder... The taxonomist in me would just say as you did Acer negundo

Very nice work..

paul

Thank you Paul, yes some call it Ash Maple, over here it's known as Manitoba Maple, and you do call it Elder, box Elder to be precise, to keep out the confusion I will just keep it Acer Negundo, correct in all respect ;-))

Nice work Leo! Beautiful piece of wood and well worth the effort to save it!

Thanks Steve, LOML Anny over here agrees with your take, and has found a rather prominent place for it :-))

Oh that looks nice Leo. Nice work. I like all your work.

Thanks for commenting Jarrod, have fun and take care .

Jack Mincey
03-18-2009, 2:58 PM
Leo,
Very nice, it is always great to find a piece of wood that you didn't even know you had and than make something very usefull from it.
Jack

curtis rosche
03-18-2009, 3:25 PM
it looks really cool, kinda looks like a record player

Leo Van Der Loo
03-18-2009, 7:21 PM
Record player :confused:??, it aint making any music though :rolleyes: :D
Thanks for commenting Curtis :) :cool: