PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry-Making Question

Mark Hulette
03-17-2009, 8:12 PM
My wifey has suggested that I attempt to make a ring "set" out of wood. Let me explain for clarification sake:

She would like the actual ring that goes around her finger to be metal and the part that is to be wooden is the set or where a jewel would go. Apparently, the current trend is larger rings and I could turn something up to about 1.5 to 2.5 inches in diameter to mount to the metal ring. Now my question:

Where to get a decent ring (without breaking the bank) and how to mount the wooden set to it?

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Greg Ketell
03-17-2009, 8:22 PM
For the ring, try a pawn shop in your area. For how to mount it, the first thing that comes to mind is 4 small holes aligning with the stone setting posts and a wee bit of epoxy.

Post pictures...

GK

John Fricke
03-17-2009, 8:31 PM
Sent you a PM Mark.

Rasmus Petersen
03-18-2009, 4:07 AM
sounds interessting.. i have made all wooden rings and they are strong... i use one myself all the time... Mine are made from a laminate og Rosewood (palisander) and olive or some other nice contrast wood...

drawing would be nice.. is the metal part to be showing or just to give it strength ?

Mark Hulette
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
sounds interessting.. i have made all wooden rings and they are strong... i use one myself all the time... Mine are made from a laminate og Rosewood (palisander) and olive or some other nice contrast wood...

drawing would be nice.. is the metal part to be showing or just to give it strength ?

Rasmus... sorry no drawing but the metal isn't intended to show but to be the how the 'set' is connected to the ring.

I guess I have been thinking that a ring turned from wood would be too thin and not strong enough plus to make it strong enough would make the ring uncomfortable to wear.

Rasmus Petersen
03-18-2009, 1:47 PM
Mark i had a post resently with a ring made from laminate, rosewood and pine. Normally i use rosewood and olive, or elmburl drowned in CA glue or whateverexotichardwoood from the pile of stuff i have for that kind of small things.. if you laminate min 3 pices and orient the grain alternating when you glue them back together you get a very strong base for a ring... i use min a lot also when working in the shop...

so i would say that you dont need the metal, but if you do want to use a mental insert you could do it by laminating 2 pices onto the sides of the metal ring. i would make both pices with a groove that fits the metal band excatly so that you get the glueline excatly in the middel of the outer band...

the non pic guide to making the rings are :

glue up.
drill centerhole (i use 12 mm)
stick onto small jam tap. turn round on the outside.
stick into wooden jam chuck.
turn inside to diameter
camfer sides (that is why i use wooden jamchuck)
sand and finish
make a 3 wooden jamchuck that fits the finished inside
turn outside and finish.

i know thats a lot og jams but i have a jewlerymaking boks full of ready jampices and its sofar the bedst and quickest way..

and one pice of advice when you turn the inside its better to make it a split hair smaller than to big :-) you can alwas adapt it with handsanding later if its to tight...

and be carefull when turning and espoecially when you change jamchucks... if the fit is to thight and you force it onto the chuck it can split...

and lastly the all wooden ring is very very nice to wear.. i like preferre it to the metal ones i have..

hope this helps.. else just ask im more than happy to help/share

Mark Hulette
03-19-2009, 7:46 PM
Rasmus-

Thanks for the info! I'd like to see a pic of your ring(s) if you have a chance or if there's a link to them.

I'm thinking I need a metal post to put the turned set on/in... it would elevate it above the fingers for clearance

Bob Hallowell
03-19-2009, 8:11 PM
My daughter and sister have rings that come with a bunch of different marbles to put in them, You could buy one of these and make the marble out of wood.

You can prolly find them cheaper but he is what I mean
http://www.gotallyourmarbles.com/catalog/Interchangeable_Silver_Jewelry-Silver_Rings/c31_43/index.html?osCsid=2ff143a2d05bf285c009327b0a2e8cc3

Bob

Mike Null
03-19-2009, 8:12 PM
http://inv.magicnovelty.com/magic/wwiz.asp

Rasmus Petersen
03-20-2009, 1:30 AM
i will have more pictures on my page in a few weeks...

www.woodturning.dk

here is the thread with pics of the one with pine..

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106429