PDA

View Full Version : Laser Gone Wild

Chris Hanson
03-17-2009, 6:52 PM
I'm experiencing a weird problem with my Universal M360. (2002) All the sudden, I can vector cut fine but when I try to engrave the job will start and then at random points in the file it will go wild. It will jump to the right out of the work area and continue on the job. Sometimes it will shoot to the left banging into the side.

I've tried changing out cables, re-installing the drivers, two different computers that have both worked in the past.

I'm getting ready to send the CPU back for replacement but thought I'd throw it out for any ideas.

Of course, I have paying jobs lined up and don't want to be out of commission. There is no such thing as overnight shipping to our island.

Thanks,
Chris

Mike DeRegnaucourt
03-17-2009, 7:43 PM
Hi Chris,

Does it only experience this weird behavior on a particular file? Do you see the strange behavior on any other files? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if there is something embedded or hidden in the file causing the erratic behavior. Are there some hidden parts of an image outside the intended raster area? If using CorelDraw, you can turn on wireframe and see if something shows up in the fringes of your file/page.

Just a thought.

Chris Hanson
03-17-2009, 7:50 PM
Mike,

Unfortunately yes. I should have mentioned that I tried that as well. I have tried everything I can think of. (and suggestions from a couple other people.)

Urgh!

Bruce Volden
03-17-2009, 7:51 PM
Don't know if your machine uses an encoder but my Epilog will do just what you describe when the encoder strip or the contrast reader for that strip is "funky". Worth looking into???

Bruce

Mike Mackenzie
03-17-2009, 7:59 PM
Chris,

A couple of things to look at.

1) turn off the system and move the head back and forth see if it feels rough.

2) clean the rails and inspect the bearings real good

3) look at the idler pulley on the left hand side see if that is rough when moving.

4) check the drive gear that is on the X axis motor make sure it did not come loose.

5) re seat the memory sim in the CPU

I doubt it has anything to do with the CPU although possible I would eliminate mechanical first.

What happens if you were to slow the raster speed down? Does it still do the same thing?

Scott Shepherd
03-17-2009, 7:59 PM
Doesn't have an encoder strip.

Anthony Welch
03-17-2009, 8:22 PM
Mine does the same as Bruce's and is an Epilog also. Runs like new when the encoder strip is cleaned.

Anthony

Angus Hines
03-17-2009, 8:35 PM
HAving had this issue before (and no experiance with your machine) I would say your X motor and the little circuit borad on or in it is shot.

George Brown
03-17-2009, 9:23 PM
Did you try setting the laser to load one file only into memory. Normally you can load multiple files to memory and then select which one to run. You can change it to accept one file only, overwriting the current one in memory, see if that changes anything.

Chris Hanson
03-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll try them out and see what happens and will report back.

Chris

Chris Hanson
03-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I've narrowed it down, I'm almost positive it is a loose x axis gear. How do you access it to tighten it? I slowed down the rastering speed to 25 and nothing....bumped it up to 50 and it started up.

Chris

Mike Mackenzie
03-20-2009, 1:02 PM
Chris,

I have put instructions and a picture here http://cemlasers.com/pg--18--Technical-Help.aspx

Look at the m360 drive gear picture first you should be able to tighten it this way. If not there are instructions on how to change the gear if necessary.

Do not do the gear replacement unless necessary there are some pictures that will help.

Chris Hanson
03-20-2009, 7:52 PM
Mike,

Thanks. I'll try and tackle it when I get home from work.

I appreciate your and everyone else's assistance.

Chris

Chris Hanson
03-21-2009, 3:57 PM
Update!

Following the directions Mike posted on his site, I tightened the x axis motor gear and adjusted the belt tension and all seems to be back to normal. I dry ran a raster heavy file with the raster speed at 100% and it went through it with no problem.

Thanks!! This site has saved me again.

Chris