View Full Version : Pill box

mike wagoner
03-17-2009, 6:07 PM
I have been searching for pill kits and/or secret key rings that have a I.D of 5/8 and at least 2 inches long. Is there anyone out there that could help me with this. Thank you in advance.
Mike

Maria Alvarado
03-17-2009, 6:36 PM
Craft supplies has a pillbox/keyring kit that's 7/16 x 1 3/4. I suppose you could substitute a longer tube if 2 inches is an absolute must.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I have made several from Craft Supply.

Jarrod McGehee
03-17-2009, 11:58 PM
you could check with pennstateind.com

mike wagoner
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the help. The problem is that the prospectors out here carry their samples of gold in glass vials to show off and when they put them in their pockets they break. I am trying to find a key kit that would take care of that problem. the vials are a 9/16 O.D. They are 1/2 to 2 inches long so length is not a big concern.
Mike

Burt Alcantara
03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
If you were to make a lot of them you could turn a small cylinder, drill it out with a forstner and make either a friction lid or better, a screw on lid. You could make a band of fake gold dust on the outside or paint the entire case with a gold fleck. For deluxe cases, use gold foil.

Home made is always better.

Burt

mike wagoner
03-18-2009, 4:05 PM
Thanks Burt, I think it would be worth a try, we have over 250 members in our little prospecting club. There is over 100,000 in the hobby. I would need to have some ideas on how to make the threaded lid pressure lid. Just to let everybody know, I did call PSI without any results.
Mike

David Walser
03-18-2009, 4:59 PM
Thanks for the help. The problem is that the prospectors out here carry their samples of gold in glass vials to show off and when they put them in their pockets they break. I am trying to find a key kit that would take care of that problem. the vials are a 9/16 O.D. They are 1/2 to 2 inches long so length is not a big concern.

Mike,

Couldn't you do the following: Find a supply of brass tubes with an inside diameter of just over 9/16". Find a supply of small corks that would fit tightly inside the brass tube. Then, drill your blank with the appropriate bit to fit the brass tube (leave the end of the blank solid). Glue the tube into the blank and trim the blank square to the tube on your sander. Mount the blank onto a jam chuck (a 9/16" drill bit held in a drill chuck should work fine) and bring the tailstock up for support. Turn the blank to size and shape and part it off. Now, you have a box for the glass vial with a nice cork top. You can go the extra mile by mounting the cork onto a wood handle (turned to size and shape on the lathe, of course).

Hobby Lobby should have the brass tubes and corks. I'm sure there are lots of other sources, too.

Good luck!

Leo Van Der Loo
03-18-2009, 8:27 PM
Mike Lee Valley has a salt and pepper shaker set, tough plastic and threaded cap, I could see the a key-ring made to fit to the top, whatever you like to do, here's a pcture.

Andrew Derhammer
03-18-2009, 8:48 PM
Could you just drill down and make a wooden sleeve to fit over the vials to protect them?

mike wagoner
03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I have just returned from Lowes with a forster drill set. Bought a complete set for what they wanted for two. Anyway I have found out that a 1/2 Copper water pipe coupler is just the right size I.D and O.D. I think I will get some sets for key kits from woodturningz and drill the ends for a 7mm on both ends. That way I can use the 7mm mandral. We will see tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Mike:)