PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hollow Form

Tim Cleveland
03-17-2009, 5:57 PM
This HF started as a practice piece, didn't realize it was cherry. It measures 8"x2" with a wall thickness of about 3/8", maybe a little thicker at the largest diameter. Got sick after shaping the outside and by the time I was able to start hollowing, it had already started to check. All comments and critique welcome, but my main question is, since I am planning on becoming a full time pro woodturner once I finish college, most of my work is made to be sold, so, for future reference, how acceptable is a check like the one shown for a piece meant to be sold.Also, please critique the photography.

Tim

Jeff Nicol
03-17-2009, 6:44 PM
Tim, With cherry and most all the fruit woods you have to keep ontop of wha is happening during the drying. The piece of wood you used was gaurenteed to crack along the line it did. It looks like a limb or something was coming out there. These areas are full of tension and the wood moves quite freely around them. You can still go back to it and soak some thin or medium CA glue into the crack and sand it back out and refinish it to stabilize the crack. The pictures are OK but you need to keep the shadows out of the frame. The piece should create the shadow, the pros will use reflectors to use the sunlight to there advantage so there are no shadows from you or some other object. Check out some of the " Light boxes" that are out there to build, there are posts here on SMC about them also.

Good luck and keep at it,

Jeff

Robert McGowen
03-17-2009, 6:55 PM
I really like the shape of your turning. I would think that as long as the check is there when it is sold and the buyer knows that it is there, then there isn't any problem at all. I would think that the problem would be if the check developed AFTER it was sold. I try to keep each piece for a couple of months after it is finished before I do anything with it just to see if anything develops.

As far as the photos, I know nothing about taking photos or what to do technically to make them better. From a layman's viewpoint, with all of the sun and shadows and harshness of the light, I would give you a "C" at best. Just my opinion, but you did ask.

Bill Bolen
03-17-2009, 8:07 PM
A lot of folks will see the check and think it has cracked and is damaged. I never sell an item with an open crack. Fill it with something dark like coffee and ca, sand out and you are good.The black line will just look like a pitch line on cherry...Bill..

Richard Madison
03-17-2009, 9:13 PM
Tim, Your turning looks good, but your photography needs work in order to show your turnings to advantage. First try a seamless white background (an ironed sheet will do). And search this forum for photography hints. Neal Addy has an excellent tutorial here somewhere. Just search for Neal's posts.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I agree with Bill. Fill the crack with either sanding dust or instant coffee with epoxy and fill the crack. Sand it out and it will be good to go. I would never sell anything with a crack left unattended.

Jarrod McGehee
03-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Well seeing how my turning abilities are close to none, I can't say much other than it looks pretty sweet but those guys like Bernie sure help and that should fill the check and cover it up. And for going pro I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you can make it doing it.

And the photography has too many shadows in it and guys have helped you on that. Nice work

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Tim - nice looking HF! I think cracks are something that either bother folks and keeps them from buying or they think it adds to the character of the piece and buy it anyway. In this case - if you haven't applied any finish to it yet - go ahead and fill the crack just to remove it as an issue.

Next time - if for some reason you know you can not get back to the turning real soon - cover your turning with a plastic bag. That will keep all the moisture in and slow down the checking.

Your photos are not to bad. I like the perspective in the 1st photo the best. Showcases the profile and shows just enough of the opening to show it is hollow without distorting the form. Great focus - that is something that a lot of folks struggle with but is absolutely necessary if you want folks to see any details in your work.

Lighting and shadows are something you need to experiment with. The 1st photo is real artful - with the fragmented direct sunlight and dark shadows - but fails in it's attempt to draw attention to your turning. Your turning should not have to compete with anything else in the photo - including light, shadow and background.

Lots to play with! Have fun with it and remember to ask lots of questions! It is what we are all here for!

Tim Cleveland
03-18-2009, 3:41 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate all the in-depth advice. It brings up a couple more questions though - will medium or thick CA ( as opposed to thin, which is what I usually use ) not stain the surounding wood? Since I am not able to remount it on the lathe, I can't just turn away the stained wood. Forgot to mention in the first post that the finish is walnut oil - still need to apply paste wax and buff. Are these pics better? Again,thanks for all the advice and compliments.

Tim

Richard Madison
03-18-2009, 5:39 PM
Much, much better photos! You are a fast learner.

Bill Bolen
03-18-2009, 6:10 PM
Photo's are 200% better! As for working with ca on a crack, well I do a bunch of that when working with Cedar. Sometimes they open up while the finishing is going on. Just the nature of Cedar I guess. If you have a coat or two of finish on and need to repair a crack I will usually fill with matching sawdust, put a bit of finish on my fingertip and apply to either sid of the crack. Run a tiny bead of CA into the crack/sawdust mixture and let it set up for a few minutes(you can use a straightpin as an aplicator here).Then a paper towel with some fresh finish on it and wipe ACROSS the crack. this will keep the staining and more importantly a ridge to a minimum. I then sand the repair with some fine black paper.Sometimes wet somtimes dry.
If you wipe the sawdust ca mixture in line with the crack you will pull the sawdust out and have to do it all over again. Think tile grouting here!...Bill...

Tim Cleveland
03-19-2009, 4:08 PM
Thanks for the valuable input Bill and Richard. I will fill in the check as soon as possible.

Tim

Robert McGowen
03-19-2009, 4:53 PM
The photos are a 100% better, maybe even 500%. :)

You say that you are unable to remount the piece on the lathe. I would have to guess that you do not have a vacuum chuck then. If you are going to be "a full time pro woodturner", you might as well get it built now! Once you have one, you will wonder how you ever turned without it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2009, 6:22 PM
Tim - your first photo is cropped really nice - shows the profile of the piece and also shows that it is hollow. Only problem I can see is that it is not in focus. Maybe it's just my monitor..... but I find that to be a fairly important part of a photo.

Richard Madison
03-19-2009, 6:48 PM
Steve, they almost look as if they just need to be "sharpened". Mine sometimes have a slightly fuzzy look (on my monitor) even when perfectly focused, until I sharpen.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2009, 7:19 PM
Richard - to a certain degree I will agree with you about the sharpening - but when I look at these - it is a focus problem. The crop is good - the focus should be razor sharp! Not expecting perfection here - just wanted to point out that you need to check what your photos look like as it is the only thing that is showcasing your work to everyone! Sharpening may work........ good focus to start with would be even better.

Just my opinion - not trying to negative - but photos are very important when you are putting your work out there for others to see.

Tim Cleveland
03-23-2009, 8:56 PM
Sorry it has taken me this long to get back to this thread, I have been sick and very busy. Thanks for the advice on the pics, I will make it a point to sharpen my pics in the future. I have been planning on making a vac chuck for a while, but having spent around 2.5 grand over the past year on a new lathe and other large tools. I am on a very tight budget at the moment. Since I'm still in high school,and have and my parents can't help me any with my hobbies or college since I have 5 siblings(what's an allowance Daddy?:eek::rolleyes:), I have a very limited income. Thanks again.

Tim