PDA

View Full Version : Oscillating Spindle Sander questions

Chris Bruno
03-17-2009, 5:25 PM
I'm going to be building some arched or cathedral doors and probably some cathedral shaped trim pieces this year for some library cabinets. I'm planning to get an OSS for cleaning up the curve cuts. There have been a bunch of times where I have wanted to sand curved faces and make sure its perpendicular to the face in the past and I feel that an OSS is the way to go..

The question is: How many of you have found the need for the inclined table on your OSS's? I've watched Norm make some of his Adirondack chairs using the sander with the table at an angle (to help perfect the angled + curved faces) and those types of chairs are definitely a project I'd like to do at some point... I'm sure the angled table isn't 100% necessary, but for those of you that have them, have you found it worth it?

Thanks,
-Chris

Chris Bruno
03-17-2009, 5:45 PM
Oops.. meant to post this in General Woodworking... Moderators, please feel free to relocate.

David Hostetler
03-17-2009, 6:35 PM
I'm going to be building some arched or cathedral doors and probably some cathedral shaped trim pieces this year for some library cabinets. I'm planning to get an OSS for cleaning up the curve cuts. There have been a bunch of times where I have wanted to sand curved faces and make sure its perpendicular to the face in the past and I feel that an OSS is the way to go..

The question is: How many of you have found the need for the inclined table on your OSS's? I've watched Norm make some of his Adirondack chairs using the sander with the table at an angle (to help perfect the angled + curved faces) and those types of chairs are definitely a project I'd like to do at some point... I'm sure the angled table isn't 100% necessary, but for those of you that have them, have you found it worth it?

Thanks,
-Chris

I bought the Ridgid OSS with the adjustable table specifically because I need the variable angles. Specifically for a project I do for fun a lot. I make wooden toy race cars out of 2x4 scrap, and a lot of the compound curves need the angles the tilting table can provide...

David Christopher
03-17-2009, 7:21 PM
Chris, Ive hade mine for 8 years and have never moved the table

Ron Jones near Indy
03-17-2009, 7:37 PM
I have the Jet and use it tilted about 1/3 of the time. But the tilt feature is why I picked it. I'm guessing my use of the tilt is higher than most.

Bruce Page
03-17-2009, 9:55 PM
Chris, I have the non-tilting Delta BOSS that I have been happy with. There have only been a few times that I wished for the tilt feature. If I ever replace it though, it will be with a tilting machine.

Eric Roberge
03-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Ridgid OSS here too! I only used the tilt feature a few times this past year, but I am very happy with my purchase. The table was one of the features I liked about it.

Good luck with your purchase!

E-

Chip Lindley
03-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Good 'Ol Boice-Crane OSS here! IT has a rack and worm table adjustment but I never use it! If the day ever comes, I've GOT IT!

*Tis better to have and not need, than to need and not have!*

Rob Cunningham
03-18-2009, 9:34 AM
I have the Jet OSS with tilting table. I was glad I had it when I had a bunch of curved and angled chair parts to make. I think it's worth having the tilt feature.