PDA

View Full Version : Sadie the Moose

Marty Weatherup
03-17-2009, 2:12 PM
I had the power company take down a couple trees due to their proximity to the power lines. They provide the service for free in an effort to prevent homeowners from inadvertently dropping trees on the lines. Sadie the moose provides a free branch clean up service.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/mart-photo/IMG_0286Small.jpg

Bruce Page
03-17-2009, 2:37 PM
Neat picture. I saw my first live moose standing in the Anchorage Millennium Hotel parking lot a few years back as I was leaving for dinner one night. I was astonished over how big & tall they were!

Rob Russell
03-17-2009, 2:57 PM
They're a problem up in Maine on the highways. It's my understanding that someone's killed every year when they hit one. The moose are so tall that when a car or SUV hits one, all that body just flops into the passenger compartment. A half ton of moose does a pretty good (and grisly) job on the occupants.

Dave Anderson NH
03-17-2009, 4:19 PM
You ain't just a kiddin' Rob. From 1996-2006 NH had 46 highway deaths from car-moose collision. I forget how many other non-fatals there were, but it was several times more than the 46. The state was passing out yellow bumper stickers for a while with black printed "Brake for moose, it could save your life!" Occasionally we even get a few in the southern part of the state, but I haven't seen one in my neighborhood for about 4 years now.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2009, 4:23 PM
We have them come through town on occasion. We saw them regularly when we elk hunted. Their rutting season happened during general elk rifle season.

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2009, 4:37 PM
We have them in the Upper Peninsula but I have yet to see one. Used to run into them all the time when I lived in Alaska and also in Yellowstone. Was always amazed at the size of them!

Marty Weatherup
03-17-2009, 5:12 PM
Here in the Mat-Su valley we usually have about 250+ moose car collisions. That fence behind her in the picture is 6 foot tall to give you a reference.

Marty

Gene Howe
03-17-2009, 7:38 PM
One of my jobs when TDY to Elmendorf or Eilson AFBs was running the moose (and the Ptarmigans) off the runways. We found out that you don't mess with Momma when she has a youngun nearby!

One of my buddies in Anchorage had a '51 or '52 Ford convertible. One summer day, we looked out the barracks window to see a bull moose eating his seat covers. He was upset!

Pat Germain
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
One of my buddies in Anchorage had a '51 or '52 Ford convertible. One summer day, we looked out the barracks window to see a bull moose eating his seat covers. He was upset!

Were they hemp seat covers? ;)

That's one big moose, Marty. We have lots of moose in the Colorado mountains. Once in awhile, a moose will wander into western Colorado springs. They don't seem at all bothered by heavy traffic and will munch on foliage right next to a busy highway.

Gene Howe
03-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Were they hemp seat covers? ;)

I don't really know and, that's an interesting question. Just what material was used back then (this occurred in '62) to make those after market woven seat covers?
If memory serves, it wasn't a man made fiber. Hemp is pretty strong...physically as well as odor wise :D:rolleyes::D
How do you tell when a moose is high?
He already had the munchies.

Paul Ryan
03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
A couple of years ago while snowmobling between Ely and Tofte, MN. On the way back from Ely in about the middle 50 miles to either city. We were in the middle of no where. The only thing out there were pine trees and you guessed it, Moose. While traveling about 60mph on the trail. Out of no where a moose pulled out onto the trail right in front of my brother. He hit the brakes so fast and came with in grabbing its tail over the hood of the sled before it left the trail and went into the woods. He finally got the sled stoped and his eyes were as big as saucers. He just sat on the sled for a few minutes in shock. It would have been one hell of a disaster if he would have hit the back of the moose.

From my view about 100 yards back my first thought when I saw this animal come out of the woods was, "what is a clydesdale doing out here?" It had white feet after comming out of the woods onto the trail, it was running. Then I realized holy cow thats a moose. About that time it darted off the trail in to the other side of the woods. I will never forget it.

Craig D Peltier
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Probaly 25 years ago in mid Maine , Monson area I spent alot of time. We used to hit the logging roads early, 630 am looking for moose just to see.
One time as a little boy I remember my dad , mom and I getting too close to one on the road with its baby an she rammed our new truck. Left a football size dent and some hair too and chased us for a good 200 feet.
I rememeber being pretty scared as a ten year old.
Another memory I have is them galloping through three feet of snow like it was ankle deep.

Rick Fisher
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow..

If you ever get the chance, visit Banff Alta. I was fortunate to be there when the Elk came through town.

Banff is a town inside a provincial park. As such, the Elk are given the right of way..

When we where there, at least 50 female elk where wandering around. Every park ranger alive was present, stopping the tourists from attempting to "pet them".

After all the cows are in town, the Bull comes through. People are shewed inside buildings and kept a good distance away.

All traffic is shut down in the whole town.. Its quite a scene.

Lee Schierer
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
A number of years ago we were canoe camping in Canada. One morning we got an early start as we had a long paddle planned. We were going down a stream, came around a bend and there was a bull Moose standing belly deep in the water right in the middle of the 15-20' wide stream. We grabbed our cameras and snapped pictures. After 20+ minutes of back paddling to keep from drifting down on him he finally took the hint and left the stream so we could continue our journey.

Marty Weatherup
03-18-2009, 1:18 PM
It looks like Sadie is with calf. We often have moose cows and new babies in the neighborhood. Twins are the norm I've heard. I came home from night shift one morning to find a cow with what could not have been more than 48 hour old triplets in tow. My wife was upset that I woke her up till she saw the babies. Happened to quick to get pictures, maybe this year we will get a chance to photograph some new moose calves.

Sparky Norton
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM
I live in northern Maine and we have plenty of moose up here. Some of them get to be pretty BIG as you can see from the attached pictures. The pictures were taken about an hour from me on the Canadian border. How'd you like to meet this guy on this road? I believe I'd give him the right of way. :)

Have a good day,
Sparky

Gene O. Carpenter
04-16-2009, 1:29 PM
I knew Moose were big but had no idea they are that big! Knowing dirt roads I have an idea how wide the road is that he's walking on and I could park my 89 Isuzu Trooper under his belly and use him as a garage.
That monster has to be 7' to 8' to the top of his rump.
Wonder what he's taste like! Can you smoke the meat like they used to smoke Ham's?

Gene

Sparky Norton
04-16-2009, 1:38 PM
I figured him to be about 8 feet at the shoulders and the rack 6+ feet wide. Yes you can smoke the meat but will probably be dry since there is very little fat. It does freeze very well.

I made a moose meat stew a few weeks ago that was awesome according to the guys at work. The meat is very lean and has a lot of flavor but it's not a real "gamey" flavor like some wild animals.

Good eatin'!

Sparky