PDA

View Full Version : Glass tiles

onur cakir
03-17-2009, 2:11 PM
Hi Everyone ' Hope you all are ok !

I want to share my new top-seller product with you all.

Process is very easy as most of you know it well.

Tiles are;

-8" x 8" size and 0,2" thick tempered glass for wall installation.
-12" x 12" size and 0,4" thick tempered glass for floor application.

All tiles have rounded edges against sharpness.

First i paint back of the tiles with epoxy (black). Than engrave and re-paint back of the tiles with epoxy paint for getting desired color contrast on tiles.

Steve Clarkson
03-17-2009, 2:47 PM
Onur,

Those are beautiful....do you start with a clear tile?

All I have been able to find where I live are glass tiles with a colored backing. I've actually been experimenting with them (doing them kind of like mirrors)....but no matter what I do, all I get is a frosted glass.....and then the only color that comes through well is black.

Are there certain patterns that have been popular? Care to share one or two in vector format?

onur cakir
03-17-2009, 3:35 PM
Onur,

Those are beautiful....do you start with a clear tile?

All I have been able to find where I live are glass tiles with a colored backing. I've actually been experimenting with them (doing them kind of like mirrors)....but no matter what I do, all I get is a frosted glass.....and then the only color that comes through well is black.

Are there certain patterns that have been popular? Care to share one or two in vector format?

Hi Steve, thanks !

Yes i start with clear tiles. My settings for my 45w Epilog are S100 P100.

Maybe glass types in Turkey and in USA are different than each other. I get a semi-transperent look&feel on glass with those settings. Most important thing is..i dont paint them by myself. I pay extra for glass shop where i buy my glass tiles so i dont have to worry about result. And Epoxy paint is ultra durable.

Attached you will find most common patterns for Turkey market in these days.

Cost pricing for 1 sqft is around 150$ ( glass+2 times painting ) and i sell 1 sqft for around 600$-700$ ( hope my clients will not read here :cool: )

Steve Clarkson
03-17-2009, 3:54 PM
Well, ya didn't say that you went to a GLASS SHOP!!! I was looking in our local home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) and flooring and tile stores.

Is it safe to have glass floor tiles?

Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing those patterns,

Now I have to add a whole new list of stores to my shopping list!

Frank Corker
03-17-2009, 5:39 PM
Great job as usual Onur.

Dave Lock
03-17-2009, 6:28 PM
Hi Onur,

They look incredible. Thanks for sharing both your pictures and your method.

Food for thought eh?

Dave.

onur cakir
03-17-2009, 6:45 PM
Well, ya didn't say that you went to a GLASS SHOP!!! I was looking in our local home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) and flooring and tile stores.

Is it safe to have glass floor tiles?

Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing those patterns,

Now I have to add a whole new list of stores to my shopping list!

You're welcome ;)

We have Bauhaus from Germany and few other smaller home improvement stores but their 1st quality products are 3rd quality for "real" construction market. So its better to find reliable manufacturers who are experinced for one spesific item like wood or glass etc.

As those tiles are tempered ( cutted->edge rounded->tempered->back painted->engraved->back painted) they are durable like standart ceramic glasses.

Actually i have a common project with a steel door company. We will try to use my glasses on steel doors for apartments. And we will use "laminated" glass which are more stronger than tempered glass.

onur cakir
03-17-2009, 6:45 PM
Great job as usual Onur.

Thank you Frank, still experimenting with materials.

onur cakir
03-17-2009, 6:46 PM
Hi Onur,

They look incredible. Thanks for sharing both your pictures and your method.

Food for thought eh?

Dave.

Thank you Dave, beer for thought will be welcomed too ;)

Sheryl Haley
03-17-2009, 7:01 PM
Great Job Onur,
You amaze me again with your ideas and talent. Thank you for sharing the tiles.
Sheryl Haley

John W. Love
03-17-2009, 7:49 PM
Wow, that is truly impressive. As always your work is beautiful, Onur! Having worked for 16 years for a small glass company, I am surprised that you can use tempered glass in the laser since it is my understanding that the way the laser engraves on glass is by making small fractures in the glass. Tempered glass is designed to break into a gillion pieces when it fractures, so I'm surprised that it doesn't shatter when engraved. Well, you learn something new every day...

~Alicia

Jack Harper
03-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Wow, that is truly impressive. As always your work is beautiful, Onur! Having worked for 16 years for a small glass company, I am surprised that you can use tempered glass in the laser since it is my understanding that the way the laser engraves on glass is by making small fractures in the glass. Tempered glass is designed to break into a gillion pieces when it fractures, so I'm surprised that it doesn't shatter when engraved. Well, you learn something new every day...

~Alicia

I laser tempered glass all the time. The pieces range from 12"x12" up to 5'x9'. In fact, I find it lasers much nicer than non-tempered. The fracture points are smaller giving me more dots per inch for a clearer image. With that said, if you go way too slow, with too much heat, you can still fracture the glass.

Dan Hintz
03-18-2009, 7:51 AM
Tempered glass is designed to break into a gillion pieces when it fractures, so I'm surprised that it doesn't shatter when engraved.
In addition to Jack's reply (and I could be wrong on this one, so Onur will have to verify), but it appears that Onur isn't really engraving the glass itself but engraving off a layer of paint.

Just like the mirrors, he takes a piece of tempered glass and paints the backside. He then etches a pattern into the paint, then follows it up with a second coat of paint in a different color. Flip the tile over and you have a nice dual-color image protected by several millimeters of tempered glass.

onur cakir
03-18-2009, 1:10 PM
In addition to Jack's reply (and I could be wrong on this one, so Onur will have to verify), but it appears that Onur isn't really engraving the glass itself but engraving off a layer of paint.

Just like the mirrors, he takes a piece of tempered glass and paints the backside. He then etches a pattern into the paint, then follows it up with a second coat of paint in a different color. Flip the tile over and you have a nice dual-color image protected by several millimeters of tempered glass.

That's the point, yes ! To be honest i didnt get the idea of engraving glass itself because target is to get a contrast with the engraving surface.

I'm working on glass mosaics now, i ll post pictures when they're done.

John W. Love
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Onur, how are these applied to a wall? and wouldn't they be awfully slippery if you used them on the floor? Would you simply sell the tiles and tell the customer to hire a contractor to install them? Lol guess I'm full of questions tonight... I ran one of these today, and it looks awesome! I love to try new things! Of course, I didn't have any tempered glass on hand but I did have some 12" x 12" pieces of window glass I'd gotten a while back from my ex-boss so I thought I'd try it. Thanks for sharing :)

~Alicia

onur cakir
03-20-2009, 8:48 AM
Onur, how are these applied to a wall? and wouldn't they be awfully slippery if you used them on the floor? Would you simply sell the tiles and tell the customer to hire a contractor to install them? Lol guess I'm full of questions tonight... I ran one of these today, and it looks awesome! I love to try new things! Of course, I didn't have any tempered glass on hand but I did have some 12" x 12" pieces of window glass I'd gotten a while back from my ex-boss so I thought I'd try it. Thanks for sharing :)

~Alicia

Hi John, you can use standart ceramic tile grout but i prefer "fish tank silicone" Those silicone tubes has less acid to be used with fish tank glass montage with less toxic materials than standart silicone. To get the best result i advice my clients to install a thin wood covering to get a smooth surface but you can simply install those tiles directly on smooth concrete.

Its not that slippery compared to granite. But if the surface gets wet it will be dangereous but granite tiles are dangereous anyway when they get wet.

For outdoor use i'm working with nano tech. companies here in Turkey to protect tiles against UV-Sun. Even the paint is protected by glass itself UV might be a problem for color fade.

I just sell the tiles, if client asks i have my team to install the tiles but i ask extra money for it. Remember, you cant cut tempered glass while installing tiles so you got to make detailed mesurement to not to face any problem while installing tiles.

Steve Clarkson
03-20-2009, 9:04 AM
Yes, I was wondering about the corrosive nature of the grout or adhesive.....I know that's one reason why the backing on these tiles is so thick/tough.......hadn't thought about fading and the effects of UV either......but they sure look good!!!

onur cakir
03-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, I was wondering about the corrosive nature of the grout or adhesive.....I know that's one reason why the backing on these tiles is so thick/tough.......hadn't thought about fading and the effects of UV either......but they sure look good!!!

Hmm......adhesive ?? You mean silicone or any other chemical for installing tiles ?

Steve Clarkson
03-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes.....I heard it eats away at the backing on tiles.

onur cakir
03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Yes.....I heard it eats away at the backing on tiles.

I guess i got an answer. Non-cement based grouts should be use for glass tiles with back paint.

http://www.vitrafix.com/urunler/yapi_kimyasallari.aspx?sapCode=F13603015&categoryCode=VCT02_0701002

Steve Clarkson
03-20-2009, 9:16 PM
Thanks Onur!