PDA

View Full Version : Saw Handle - Seeking Comments

Brian Kent
03-17-2009, 12:36 PM
This is Saw Handle attempt #3.
I am looking for your critique while it is still in the rasping and filing stage.

I am attempting to integrate the comments from my last two handles with the row of holes on this saw blade. The blade is a newer (but not new) Craftsman Hollow Ground, with machining stripes on the surface and a row of 5 holes. The old handle was a mold-injected hollow plastic with 3 holes.

I have some nicer saws on the way, so this and the other 2 I've been working on are beaters that I can afford to mess up as I practice cleaning, making handles and sharpening.

Picture 1: The walnut handle I need your comments on.
Picture 2: The new handle on the right, the hollow molded plastic original on the left.
Picture 3: Left to right, my 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd attempt at making a saw handle.
Picture 4: Closer look at #2 & #3.

Thank you in advance for your help. The main suggestions on #2 were to make a bigger cheek and a more continuous curve. The cheek is a little oversized to cover the long row of holes on the blade. I can take off just a little if I need to for a more balanced look.

Brian

Jim Koepke
03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
They look nice, my only comment is the horns look a little long and might break easily.

jim

Zach Dillinger
03-18-2009, 9:38 AM
They look nice, my only comment is the horns look a little long and might break easily.

jim

Brian,

Nice work. I'd be proud to have those on my saws.

Zach

Ray Gardiner
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi Brian,

I can see you are making good progress, you might need to reshape a little if you are planning to do a lamb's tongue. One of the nicer handles I think is the Disston No8 style, and you can see the way the lamb's tongue is shaped and the bottom line of the cheek is a smooth curve.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/DisstonNo8.jpg

Handle styling and shape (once you get the functional stuff right) is very much a personal preference, some of the eagle and panther carved saws serve to illustrate just how much is a matter of personal preference.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards
Ray
Edit, I should add the image above is from http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/8page.html a great resource for Disston information.

george wilson
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
You are rapidly getting better,Brian.There,now Ray put up a nice picture that will help with carving the lamb's tongue.

So far,it looks fine. Note that you might have to leave the outline of the tongue at the bottom of the cheek. Now you will have to shorten the cheek to accomodate the tongue.There's plenty of room to do that on your blank shape.

Raney Nelson
03-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Very nice handle, Brian. The one thing I might suggest is that the cheek is a little bit too tall in this one, and as a result the lamb's tongue has lost most of it's vertical movement. If you shaved maybe 3/4-inch fromt the bottom leading edge of the cheeck, so the front of the tongue progresses up a bit more before it 'turns' I think you'd have a little more of the dynamics that make the tongue so interesting.

These are really fine points, though, and largely personal. That's just my preference.

george wilson
03-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Raney,I agree. But,by the time he allows for the tongue,he'll shorten the cheek.Brian,you are doing exactly the right thing,accepting constructive criticism in the right way. Because of that,your handles are very rapidly becoming superior. Post pics of this last one when it is done.

Brian Kent
03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's what I did to accommodate a tongue. I re-checked the hole positions and took the cheek in as far as I could while leaving an even radius around the back-most hole, then cut in the tongue.

The second picture includes a dovetail saw handle I roughed out last night from the same piece of walnut. It is from the Ray Gardiner handle pattern from Backsaw.net.

By the way, is there a good source for brass saw nuts? I ordered some cheap nickle plated saw nuts, but if this works out I'd rather have brass.

Raney Nelson
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
That looks great to my eye Brian. If I were wearing my super-picky design hat, I might still angle the turn in the tongue area up a bit more in the future to match the movement. you've got in the long horns. That's REALLY picking at nits - but you seem to be aiming very high.

If I weren't wearing that hat, and bought a saw with this handle, I'd be very very happy with it. Really well executed.

I know Gramercy sells split nuts, but they're sized for their DT and carcass saws. I think they're probably too small for a handsaw. I think Mike Wenzloff might also be selling them in a couple of sizes now as well. Those are the only ones I know of other than some talented folks who make them in small runs every blue moon or two...

george wilson
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Brian,MUCH better. Now,if you will look back at the picture of the Disston handle,and put more curvature into the small end of the tongue,which you still have room to do,you will be there. BTW,the outside side of the tongue is usually left flat. you still have room left to do that,too. I am not trying to get you to copy the Disston. It simply LOOKS better with the outside of the tongue flat. Other than that,the handle is very well proportioned,and the curves look good.

Brian Kent
03-18-2009, 3:32 PM
How's this?

I'm glad I live close to work so I could run home and do the next step!

Is the tongue too long now?

Brian

Raney Nelson
03-18-2009, 3:36 PM
Not sure if you're asking me, George, or both, but I think it's perfect now with one small concern - I'd be afraid that the sharp end of the tongue won't hold up. Generally the tip is still tied to the bulk of the wood, and if you ended it about 3/8 or so inches back and without the point it would probably be more immune to the passage of time.

Appearance-wise, I think it's as nice a handle as I've seen. Bravo!

george wilson
03-18-2009, 3:54 PM
I agree with Raney,Brian. You must be working like a beaver today!! The tongue looks a lot better.

Brian Kent
03-18-2009, 4:16 PM
Thank you. I'm back at work and I'll trim my tongue - so to speak - when I get back home. I really appreciate your advice. Where else could I go to get such great feedback.

Any sources on brass saw nuts?

Brian

Raney Nelson
03-18-2009, 4:49 PM
Guess you missed it above, but I checked to confirm:

From Wenzloff and sons' website:

"Split nuts and bolts. We have split nuts and bolts for sale. We have (and use on various saws) 3 sizes of bolt heads and corresponding nuts. These are 7/16", 1/2" and 9/16". Bolt lengths are 1". Price is $4.50 a bolt/nut pair, any size."

I'd email or call Mike.

Brian Kent
03-18-2009, 5:57 PM
Raney,

You're right. I missed it before. Thanks for posting it again.

Brian

george wilson
03-18-2009, 7:52 PM
$4.50 a pair is very reasonable. I wouldn't make them for that.

Brian Kent
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I think it's done. Waiting for some hardware!

Raney Nelson
03-19-2009, 3:13 PM
That, sir, is a handle to be very proud of. Beautiful work - and I think the tongue came out perfect. It would have been a shame to have nickel-plated hardware in such a fine piece of work.

Ray Gardiner
03-20-2009, 6:24 AM
Hi Brian,

Beautiful work, I think you have pretty much nailed it!

It's been good to watch your progress, and at the rate you have improved
is indeed a credit to you. Congratulations on a fine job.

Regarding saw screws, I can recommend the Mike Wenzloff screws, they are
very well made, very reasonable price and will complement that handle perfectly.

Regards
Ray

Eric Hartunian
03-20-2009, 7:18 AM
I really like your 3d attempt. So when can we start sending our saws to you?;)

Eric

Brian Kent
03-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks Ray. I ordered the Wenzloff saw screws yesterday. I was surprised when Mike answered the phone and spent a leisurely time talking with me over a $27 order!

And Eric, before you send your saws to me, how about if we wait until my first, second, and 500th attempt at sharpening blades and about the same number for making handles:D.

Thanks everyone for your great recommendations and encouragement.

Brian

Brian Kent
04-09-2009, 1:59 PM
The Mike Wenzloff saw screw sets arrived. I mounted them today on this saw and on a handle for a gents saw (on another thread).

I am very happy with the saw now. I drilled a bit too deep on the other side so I'll look for some very thin (1/32") washers to make them even with the handle.

I tried to match the original handle in pictures 1 & 2 but I didn't have a plastic mold injection machine.:rolleyes:

Raney Nelson
04-09-2009, 3:03 PM
The Mike Wenzloff saw screw sets arrived. I mounted them today on this saw and on a handle for a gents saw (on another thread).

I am very happy with the saw now. I drilled a bit too deep on the other side so I'll look for some very thin (1/32") washers to make them even with the handle.

I tried to match the original handle in pictures 1 & 2 but I didn't have a plastic mold injection machine.:rolleyes:

Looks really great Brian. One tip on getting depth right in the future - if you stay just a tiney bit (1/32 or so) proud of final depth, you can finish the hole with a forstner bit by hand - it's slow work, but that's why it works so well.

Very nice saw. Shame about the injection molded plastic, but you'll have to make do with wood, I guess ;)