PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Slide Installation

Mike Goetzke
03-17-2009, 9:43 AM
I'm ready to install four drawers under my workbench (one is for my new 16" Omnijig - gloat:cool:). I have mounted several slides in the past, but, I bought these slides from CSHardware and they didn't come with instructions. They are full extension - ball bearing - side mount. The ends of the pieces that attach to the cabinet (frameless) and drawer (box with false front) are flush with one another in the closed position. There is a rubbery catch at the closure point that keeps the drawer closed. I'm wondering if I mount the slides even on the drawer box and cabinet side or do I slightly offset the piece that attaches to the door away from the drawer front say 1/16" to 1/8" to make sure it stays closed?

Thanks,

Mike

Steve Rozmiarek
03-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Flush works fine on these. Any deeper for the slide in relation to the drawer, and I'd think that the rubber stop would not fully engage.

John Lucas
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
usualy a 1/8" set back..but all slides are diffferent. Go to website of mfr and look for mounting instructions.

Brian D Anderson
03-17-2009, 10:49 AM
usualy a 1/8" set back..but all slides are diffferent. Go to website of mfr and look for mounting instructions.

What he said. I just used the Kreg drawer slide jig (http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-NZ03-Magnetic-Drawer-Mounting/dp/B0002QZ4Q2) to put a few slides in, and it automatically places the cabinet side back about an 1/8" from the front. That gives it room to engage the rubber "hold" but still get the drawer flush with the frame.

http://www.jfreitasphotography.com/Temp/RT5.jpg

I've found wwhardware.com has a lot of installation guides and manuals. Just find a similar slide and check it out.

-Brian

Steve Rozmiarek
03-17-2009, 3:23 PM
I just reread this thread again, and let me clarify. If your drawers are fit properly, you will not need an extra 1/8" to make sure that they close tight. The extra room provided by the 1/8" would however make fitting a false front drawer face a piece of cake.

After looking closer at an Headrich (sp?) over lunch, it would tolerate 1/8" out, and be fine. Personally I don't do it that way, but if you want to, you won't have any problems.