PDA

View Full Version : Dewey's first box

Dewey Torres
03-17-2009, 3:35 AM
Some of you may have seen my poll complimenting whether to put a lid on my first bowl...well the jury is out. It was my first and that's the way it will stay. I still wanted to do a box and this gave me the chance to do a continuous grain match.

This was was a challenge for sure. More from the red cedar load. Inlay is black embossing powder believe it or not (NEW). The finial (if you can call it a finial:confused:) is real ebony. The lid is a friction fit but not a snap lid. You can pick the box up by it and get it off with only one hand.

My Nova II chuck bites in to darn hard and mars the wood... maybe I need the soft jaws. Trying to find a non marring balance on tightening this thing came loose twice ans I nearly had to abort mission but "sandpaper was my best friend". Quote from Dave C.

I tried to make a very slight curve to the side profile rather then leave it flat. I was guessing with the form on this all the way through but overall I think better forms will come with practice. The finial has the same detail as the lid and the lid has the same inlay detail as the box bottom...or at least that is what I was shooting for.

Steve,
I tried not cropping these so tight this time and I took a few ones from different elevations and would like to know what works from all of you.

Thanks for looking!

alex carey
03-17-2009, 4:10 AM
Well done, that is a good looking Box. Boxes can be tough but it seems you are already on your ways.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2009, 8:11 AM
Well done Dewey. The first one's are always a bear but the get easier as you go. I have always kept the first of everything I have made to compare to later as I gained experience. It is amazing.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-17-2009, 8:20 AM
Practice makes perfect Dewey! You are progressing nicely my friend! Nice first box! Very nice!

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2009, 8:44 AM
Dewey - really nice looking box! Good design and detail work! As far as photos - I like photo #1 and probably #4 the best. Just me, but I would prefer to see a cross between #2 & #4 as photo #2 shows the top but distorts the profile and # 4 doesn't show any of the top portion - so it appears flat. Like I said - just my opinion.

Nice work Dewey! Keep it up!

Tony De Masi
03-17-2009, 8:45 AM
Very nice Dewey. But between your stoppers, your "first" bowl, and now this I think you've sandbagged the forum into thinking that you are new to turning, but you didn't fool me:D

Tony

David Christopher
03-17-2009, 9:45 AM
Dewey, I think Tony is right..you are just pulling our leg. this dont look like a first box....Great job abd very nice box

Brian Effinger
03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Great box Dewey. Ya did good on it and the cropping. The only thing about the pictures is that they are a little washed out. I'm not sure how to handle that though since I am still learning photoshop. Maybe more contrast, or mess with the "curves"?

Dewey Torres
03-17-2009, 7:22 PM
Thanks again guys...to the album with these and on to the next!

Jeff Luedloff
03-17-2009, 8:53 PM
Dewey, Very nice box. Impressive for your first box, keep up the great work and you will give Ray Key a run for his money..

Dean Thomas
03-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I wanted to see what was buried in the shadows. Tweaked it a bit in Photoshop.

Whattaya think, Dewey? Is the color close?

Snap fit lids are for turners only, actually. Customers are not impressed when they take a snap lid home and have their humidity higher than yours and can't open it up! Ladies do NOT like to be required to use two hands to open the lid.

Jaws will bite into cedar, yup, yup, yup. Will nylon jaws help? Maybe. Best bet for cedar or other tender wood might be the good ole waste block or leaving a LOT of wood behind so that you don't care if that part is damaged. One issue that might be larger is that if one part is softer than the other, when that soft part crushes, the rest of the box is no longer centered.

Good job on the box, sir. You're growing leaps and bounds.

Dewey Torres
03-18-2009, 12:19 AM
I wanted to see what was buried in the shadows. Tweaked it a bit in Photoshop.

Whattaya think, Dewey? Is the color close?

Yes, it is a bit darker in real life but once again your pic is better than mine. I may need a third light. I have been using faststone for editing. Most it is more practice with the photos...I may never get there.

Jarrod McGehee
03-18-2009, 1:17 AM
Nice work Dewey and that is an interesting but nice form. Good job.

Jim Becker
03-18-2009, 10:36 AM
You're really getting the hang of this spinny thing, Dewey! Nice work.