PDA

View Full Version : GLOAT!, but Techno-Challenged. HELP

Andy Haney
07-19-2004, 8:41 PM
I'm have prepared the text for my first "OFFICIAL" GLOAT :D , and I have digital pics. The cherry tree has been milled, and I have 3 photos of router table progress.

HELP with photo posting, please. So far, I haven't figured out how to post the .jpg files :confused: . There are four, and one of them exceeds 100 KB.

Andy
Ottawa, Kansas

Ken Fitzgerald
07-19-2004, 9:55 PM
Andy, it's really not that difficult to post images/photos here. Below the area where you type in the text of "your new thread" or reply to another's thread..if you scroll down you'll see..."Manage attachments" hot button. Click on it. It will open another window.....Select browse and find the files on your computer that you want to upload. Select the file by clicking on it and then click the upload hot button in this window. It may take a little time to upload the photo depending on it's file size and the speed of you connection. Once the file is uploaded, it will be shown and listed in an area below the browse button on the manage attachments window and you can select another file for uploading. I think the server here restricts a total of 4 file attachments (photos) with a maximum of 250 K total size for the files. Use jpeg files. Resizing them to a maximum of 500 pixels in width will make it easier for others to view. When they are wider than that it forces a scroll bar to have to be used and you can't view the entire image in one window.

Hope this helps!

Joseph N. Myers
07-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Andy,

Ken info will get you to the point where you can upload the pictures. If the picture(s) are too large, i.e., greater than 107kb, you'll get a message like "this page can't be displayed" or "File Too Large, Limit for ....".

1. Start off with a smaller picture from the camera. Look at your camera instructions for something like "Quality Setting in Still Photography", "picture size", etc. Set it to the lowest setting. I have Fuji and had it set at 3MB (2048 x 1536), way too big. I dropped it to 0.3MB (640 x 480) and it got a lot smaller.

2. Take a picture and try to upload it. If it is still too big, you'll get the above message "File Too Lange, ...". Mine was something like 123KB and it has to be something like 107KB.

Pull up the picture, reduce the size and copy it to a new picture.

a. I go to START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/WINDOW EXPLORER/click on your folder, double click on a picture, right click, click on Properties, and will give you a size. This is the size that has to be reduced.

b. Click OK, click on box second from the right on the bottom toolbar, looks like mountain peaks (?) (will say "closes this program and open the image for editing"). Click on Image in the upper toolbar, click Stretch/Skew, change both Horizontal and Vertical to 80%, click OK, FILE, SAVE AS, save it under a different name (I append an "_a" to the original name), FILE, EXIT, say YES to save changes.

Go back to a., "double click on the picture, ..." selecting the new picture; the size should be a lot smaller.

Try to upload the new picture

Assuming it works, i.e., says that it is there, nothing will actually be copied or shown until you actually "submit" the post. Because of that, all the pictures always appear at the end of the post. If you don't like what shows up, you can always go back and edit the post.

Hope the above helps. It's a somewhat long procedure but goes pretty quick. There are other ways to reduce the picture using different software packages but this will at least get you started.

Regards, Joe

Andy Haney
07-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys. I got the "this page can't be displayed" response.

I don't even own a digital camera. Had my 35mm prints scanned at work today, and e-mailed it to my home in a word processing document. I'll try to manipulate the photos tomorrow at work according to your comments (with more qualified assistance from others), and then re-submit.

Andy