PDA

View Full Version : Full Extension glides recommendation for kitchen pantry shelves

Joe Jensen
03-17-2009, 1:36 AM
I am going to convert a kitchen pantry cabinet to a series of full extension drawers. I was planning to use Blum undermount full extension "Tandem" slides. Where is the best price? I really want a quality solution. Are the Tandem style the right choice for that application? If you were doing the best, what would you do?

fRED mCnEILL
03-17-2009, 2:12 AM
It all depends on the weight you expect the drawers to carry. I have Blum undermounts in the kitchen and they are great. But in our pantry I have side monut full extension slides that can carry 150 lb. If you load up a shelf with cans of soup the weight gets up there.
I think the undermonuts can carry up to 75 lbs.

Fred Mc.

Robert Chapman
03-17-2009, 6:59 AM
My Blum catalog says the Tandem heavy duty full extension runners have a dynamic capacity of 110lbs. and a static capacity of 125lbs. - quite a bit of weight.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Joe, one huge issue with Tandems is the amount of space they need under a drawer. If you are building all new, no problem, retrofits on the other hand...

I bought some from Lee Valley recently. Sweet slides, and plenty strong enough for your application. I posted this same question about where to buy, and one of the guys pointed out a cheaper source. I can't remember what it was off teh top of my head. A search may be in order. It was a little cheaper, but involved setting up accounts or some other more in depth ordering procedure. I only needed 6 pair, so I went with old reliable LV instead.

Robert Chapman
03-17-2009, 1:24 PM
Try cabinetparts.com I use them a lot - very friendly helpful folks in Fla.

Irwin Fletcher
03-17-2009, 1:33 PM
You will not be disappointed with the Blum(otion) slides. I'm in the process of adding a second kitchen in my house, and so far I've installed 22 pairs of Blumotion slides. They are expensive, but man are they awesome. The Accuride soft-close slides don't hold a candle to the Blums in my opinion.

Quite frequently, Rockler and Woodcraft run 15-20% off hardware sales--that is a good time to buy if you can wait til the next one. I've not found a cheaper price than when they are on sale at either of those stores.

One other thing worth noting is that the ones Rockler and Woodcraft sell are for up to 5/8" thick drawer sides. The heavy-duty models will handle up to 3/4" sides, but you can't get them at Rockler or Woodcraft to my knowledge.

Quinn McCarthy
03-17-2009, 2:11 PM
Fulterer make some realy nice pantry glides.

They have a 275 and 450 lb version.

Quinn

Greg Robbins
03-17-2009, 2:18 PM
wwhardware.com